Yahoo Confirms Hack Resulting in Discolsure of Over 400,000 User names and Passw

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
and still they're saving passwords in plain simple txt? come on! haven't they learned from all the hacks that have been happening this year?

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Yahoo's security measures stink. Just about everyone I know that has a yahoo email has been hacked over the past two months or so. As much as I'm not a big fan of Google at least they offer a two-factor authentication option.

G

So what? Like 6 or 7 people need to change their passwords now?

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
This is simply unacceptable. Thank God Google rules the Internet and not Yahoo; they actually care about security, and offer many measures to safeguard peoples' accounts.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
How can sql injection work against real tech companies?! Also, why the hell don't the hash and salt people's passwords? It's insane that the tiny, shitty site I run has better security than yahoo...

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Yeah but in reality a company isn't going to overhaul a security system unless they absolutely have to. So while hackers are mostly scum in the tech world, at the same time they're the driving force behind the reasoning for innovation. So maybe Yahoo didn't see a need to update their security, but now they do. Lesson learned.

Same thing as us. I'm not going to purchase a home security system because I don't think I need one. But the minute my house is robbed, you can bet your ass I'm going to get more than a dead bolt installed.

TheWhiteRose000

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
For once I was affected by something in the hack list.
Most I got from it was 20 new spam message's and started spamming random people on contacts list.
Which was my other email account that I check so I knew I was hacked.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
and also familiarize themselves with our online safety tips at security.yahoo.com,"
That's funny. What makes Yahoo think the are in any position to give security advice? I mean they were just hacked, right?

cutebeans

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
"We apologize to all affected users. We encourage users to change their passwords on a regular basis and also familiarize themselves with our online safety tips at security.yahoo.com," the company is quoted as saying.

WTF is this ****!! They are talking like the users were the ones at fault here. Yahoo is pretty much dead.

Nesto1000

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
[citation][nom]cutebeans[/nom]WTF is this ****!! They are talking like the users were the ones at fault here. Yahoo is pretty much dead.[/citation]

Not sure if trolling or just doesn't know how to read and interpret English.
"We apologize" ie yahoo is saying sorry.
"We encourage users" is not blaming the users...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]830hobbes[/nom]How can sql injection work against real tech companies?! Also, why the hell don't the hash and salt people's passwords? It's insane that the tiny, shitty site I run has better security than yahoo...[/citation]

Lack of respect for personal information from its users is the issue, they simply don't take the data they amassed seriously . I hope FBI or wherever agency is investigating ALSO investigates Yahoo if they took adequate measures to protect the data from its users or if it was negligence, a simple SQL injection sure sounds like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.