Yahoo! Resisted PRISM, And Can Now Prove It

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Microsoft have been making things easier for PRISM to get their guff. So that part of the article, claiming that Microsoft likely fought against PRISM, is nonsense.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
It's good to know Yahoo fought for users privacy rights... It's too bad the government trampled over them. I switched from Yahoo to Google years many years ago... I may have to switch back to Yahoo as my primary search engine.

nevilence

Honorable
May 8, 2012
looks like it wouldnt matter if ms fought it, yahoo in the end had to bend over and take it anyways. Not that that makes it ok, just it doesnt surprise me ms took it easy, I am surprised however that yahoo kicked and screamed before submitting. good on em

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
MS/Google/Yahoo can't fight the NSA in the courts unless the laws change. But MS does review requests for data, and can deny requests if they're not done properly. That's about the only way they can fight back right now. The laws need to change, and the ones at the top that support them should get tossed out of office.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
So let me get this right... Yahoo! fought against a court order and won, and yet this is the same company with such low security standards that they are well known for having the most compromised accounts of any service.

... so even if they resisted how would we ever know that the government didn't get the information anyways?

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
@MahinCry

You realize that many have pointed out that the Guardian's stance on this has some serious factual errors right? And when told about these errors they've been very slow to correct them. For example neither MS or Google allowed the NSA "direct access" to their servers, they use sftp. Additionally Yahoo has nothing to loose at this point, the company is still in a tailspin, MS, Google, and Facebook have lots to loose if they attempt to square off with the NSA.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
"Resistance is futile!"

It is clear now that "prism" is not directed to US of A citizens but directed against the rest of the world.

US of A citizens are already subjected to spying before "prism" is created.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Congratulations, Yahoo.
Unfortunately, they're not an ISP (as far as I know), and the data transferred to/from Yahoo via ISP's was still sniffed + recorded.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
...says the company that took forever to update to httpS:// for their mail security. can there be any way to make this fight against them seem MORE empty?

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
So how does "unsealing" documents actually work? Does someone open a special safe containing manilla envelopes glued closed, find the one that says "Yahoo Evidence" and with great pomp and circumstance run a letter opener along the flap. "Voila! These are now Unsealed!"

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Yahoo resisted to release users' information to US government but handed in users' information to Chinese Government even the server was not in mainland China and led to a human right activist arrested.
Yeah... We have a choice now, want information in US government's hand or in Chinese government's hand?

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Who belive them anyway? It`s just a marketing move...
Forums are full of their users trying to get help with various problems (like forgotten stupid security questions) and they provide no support whastsoever... why would they care now for that users privacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.