YEE Dual-Mode Car Navigates Roads and the Air

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Must be a slow news day that TG is wasting everyones time with these 'dream concepts'.
I'm a pilot for 25 years and as such I must say I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if such a car-plane concept thing will ever make it past an Oshkosh demonstration flight.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I'm beginning to wonder what's up with Tom's Guide and this whole 'concept' fetish. I'll have to start keeping tally of all these.
This is going to get downrated like heck, but these are more "it might be news in the future" than they are just "news". Sorry, Toms.

jalt

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Looks like somebody stumbled upon a Rendering test, rather than a concept flying car. There's so much wrong with this, beginning with the fact the 3 designers are all industrial engineers with automotive training. I like concepts as much as the next guy, but how about screening these things for feasibility?

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Sigh, ppl.. be a little creative, obviously, you launch from your pad, make a crash landing in the ocean, float to land, and drive back to the pad... REPEAT... lol

or, launch, accidently hit car mode, vehicle doesnt realize its flying, and you become the coolest looking comet ever seen.

But in all seriousness, i was gonna try to defend it... but i cant think of any plausible way for it to land, "well atleast"...

It does look cool, maybe make me a rc car version of it... least then i wont die

BPT747

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]jalt[/nom]Looks like somebody stumbled upon a Rendering test, rather than a concept flying car. There's so much wrong with this, beginning with the fact the 3 designers are all industrial engineers with automotive training. I like concepts as much as the next guy, but how about screening these things for feasibility?[/citation]
good catch on the industrial engineers (industrial can be replaced with the word NOT, so the "NOT engineers")

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
"Pan Jiazhi, Zhu Wenxi and Lai Zexin"

3 guys to make a drawing that a bored 12 year old can come up with.... really?

none of these concepts look like they have been invented with an engineering perspective in mind.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]No offense, but I'm getting a little tired of all the "concept" articles.[/citation]
I second that. put CONCEPT in article title so we won't have to click it.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Who would ever what to drive if there is an option to fly?

Is like doing a math problem and there is a calculator in one hand, a pencil and paper on the other.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jivdis1x[/nom]Who would ever what to drive if there is an option to fly?Is like doing a math problem and there is a calculator in one hand, a pencil and paper on the other.[/citation]

I do square roots with pencil and paper for fun.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]nahdogg[/nom]I can draw a picture of a flying car too. Instead of the wheels turning into propellers the glove compartment becomes a jet engine. The cupholder doubles as a parachute in the event of an emergency. And to make it green it runs off of sunlight and fart gas.[/citation]Great, so I can only fly it at night if I eat beans and cabbage. Imagine up a better model, damnit!

Agges

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]No offense, but I'm getting a little tired of all the "concept" articles.[/citation]

At least these are more news worthy than all the Apple hype!

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]whitecrowro[/nom]QUOTE: "YEE Dual-Mode Car Navigates Roads and the Air"...no, it doesn't.[/citation]
He's right, the title is seriously misleading. In the future, please refer to these design/concept "stories" as such in the title. No offense Rico but please go find some neat (and real) prototypes and stop wasting our time with these concept designs that you keep plucking from other sites. Or like I said, at least mark the stories as such in the title.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
The whole idea is thinking of the future. Even if 99.8% of these concepts never make it to the public, it gives us hope.
I believe this is a cool idea. Travelling 1-5km? Drive. Need to go 15KM to the other side of the city? Fly.
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]I do square roots with pencil and paper for fun.[/citation]
How about mental square roots? Gets difficult pretty fast though.

Status
Not open for further replies.