You'll Need to Learn Chinese to Read the Internet

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
wow ... i see lots of propaganda to create haters for china around the english internet ... why someone can't stop to be so mean ... i think is all because of fear deep inside ... the fear to lose :)

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Considering that there are 1.2-1.3 billion English-speaking people in the world, and 1.3-1.4 billion Chinese-speaking people in the world, it makes sense that eventually Chinese will eclipse English as the language with the highest user-penetration on the internet. English is still, and likely will be for some time, the international language of commerce, and so will remain the dominant language that websites are designed in.

lemonhedo

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Personally I speak both chinese and english. I read some news in chinese, chinese celebrity news and that is about it. For english.. is everything. So, while it wouldn't hurt to pick up another language, I say it is a bold statement to claim you need to learn chinese to read on the internet!

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
it doesn't matter if chinese or mother russia language dominate the internet , we can still find the website with the language we enjoy to read ...... do not worry ... we will still going to learn english to read on the wikileads if so :)

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
ok, just because there are more Chinese people out there it does not mean that we will have to learn a new language. all this means is that they have more time to spend online

G

*PLEASE* stop your scare-tactics about "you'll need to learn Chinese to read the Internet".

You will *NEVER* be required to learn Chinese.

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
[citation][nom]xkm1948[/nom]China has the world largest LAN. It's not internet.......草泥马![/citation]

Right there... totally right. China is a closed network by itself due to the language barrier. Don't worry, they know that if they want to communicate with the rest of the world, they need to speak english.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Yes the idea of using a 2000 symboled language system is idiotic for the rest of the world, I say we just nuke them now and not worry about such trivial things!

G

Just because its the most widely used does not mean it matters enough to learn.

G

Hey, does anyone remember when China forced that small fisherman town to change their last names because there wasn't a digital character representation? Those families lost their heritage for the sake of easier documentation. Just food for thought.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]kingssman[/nom]My question is, is there any good chinese sites? Something that isn't chinese govt sanctioned propaganda[/citation]

I would tell you but I'd get permabanned. I will say that I have a new favourite torrent site though :p

I've just started learning my 3rd language, and for everyone who thinks that English is good enough, let me tell you that you are missing out on enormous opportunities, When you speak someone else's language you are looked upon with far more favour than someone who can only speak English.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bhaberle[/nom]I totally agree that there is not nearly the same incentive. But when someone like robertking82881 says comments like that, I believe my response is legitimate. Especially when other people have a larger population than us, and we get so many products from other countries.Plus it is good for everyone to know another language since it allows for different ways of thinking and cultural understanding. Although I am not one to talk since I am not fully bilingual in any of the 3 languages I studied. =P[/citation]

i have to disagree. at the very least the chinese language as a whole, needs a revamp, and the old 20000 character literacy version needs to die.

when you speak their languages, you know what they mean through context, well, why cant the written language be that way to?

look ill use japan as an example. they have a 800 character literacy, 1200 highschool and 1600 collage. they have a different form of the language that uses 78 characters, and is more context based, and is used above kanji to tell you pronunciation. kanji itself takes any doubt about the context away, only if you know the kanji. now that 78 character alphabet is more or less the same as our extended alphabet, but here is the thing, every character can be romanised, and it turns into a 2 or 3 letter sound.

if they phased out traditional symbols and phased in a romanised version of the language, it would be beneficial to everyone, but recently china banned english, i believe just from tv, but maybe just from news, and in general how xenophobic asian countries are, i doubt this will ever happen.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I love that Heading....... although they could have left the Read the Internet Part out.....:)
It would be lovely to be able to read the calligraphy although it's way to difficult to start at my age, but, this is not just about the internet..... so it would be in the next generations favor to be aware of the language and it's capacity..... since it certainly ain't a dying dialect it really needs to be studied by gen Next as a must.....

Status
Not open for further replies.