Your Guide to Cable TV Cord-Cutting

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brian Kyle

Estimable
Feb 7, 2015
this article is BS first of with all these streaming service u need a internet connection which u forget to include an decent connection would be at least 60 dollars a month with a tv package thats another 720 a year!! plus u only watches 5 shows, Hulu plus doesn't have the basic cable shows currently like Pretty Little Liars, The Fosters, Lost Girl that are current!! Netflix is at least 1 year behind, even with Amazon Prime u have to pay for current season!! but at least u did mention Live sports and u need to keep cable!! but here is the issue 6 dollars is too much for CBS if all the networks choose to follow suit, how many networks do u watch, see my point so cutting the cord is not practical

jjmmg

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
We cut cable ( Dish Network @ $108.00 Mo. ) 7 years ago. Had internet already, so added Netflix and Hulu @ $16.31 Mo. , for a savings of over $90.00 Mo. Added the extra $ to My 401K
for 7 years @ approx. 8% for a total savings of close to $10,000. We have better programing than ever, and watch ON DEMAND, so there is no need to ever record shows or stay up late to watch. We have since added Amazon Prime, which is similar to Netflix but better. This more than pays for itself with the free 2 day shipping on discounted items from Amazon.
No need for Cable. Cable is a WASTE OF MONEY !!!

sicom

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Many ISP's have bandwidth caps. Around here, the cost of going from 250GB/m is double the monthly, and double again going from 350GB/m. You can very easily hit caps like these in even a small household of 3. Consider that when cutting the cord.

Goodspike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Why is getting an Internet connected device slicker than using a PC? I don't think there's anything a PC can't do that one of these devices can do (ignoring the gaming devices), and a PC can also play DVDs and Blu-Ray discs as well as act as a DVR. The comment would be like saying that a Garmin GPS would be a slicker solution than using a smartphone with Google Maps for navigation.

Cristobaldelicia

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
This article is long on what gadgets you can buy that will theoretically enable you to cut the cord, but pathetically short on what providers actually offer internet only options. My experience with RCN in the Boston area was less than steller, and everywhere it seems like "promotional offers" are a false friend. They all start charging more after the first year with no limits to charges and extra fees down the line. Seems like a bait and switch routine to me.

Rob Moore

Estimable
Jun 1, 2015
I was seriously thinking about getting a Tivo Roamio OTA, plus 5 Mini-Tivos but I ran into something that was a deal breaker for me. Tivo Doesn't support Sling TV and that was going to be the centerpiece or my streaming channels, in addition to the OTA channels. Tablo, on the other hand, will pick up the same channels, has the same four tuners, and uses the highly regarded Roku as their recommended TV adapter, in addition to Apple TV, Chromecast, etc. Tablo also doesn't try to eliminate Sling TV. Tivo locks you into their EcoSystem and basically wants to dictate what services you can receive by requiring that all TV's have a Tivo-mini to connect them. Where a number of new streaming services will probably show up in the next 12 months, the Tablo provides the flexibility to grow as the market changes.

Hipkidz

Estimable
Jan 27, 2016
Can you tape shows like a dvr does on any of these streaming services? I like to tape network tv shows on nbc and abc. Is there a way to do that?

No; DRM and copyright rules get in the way of that. However, most of these are streaming anyway so you should be able to re-watch anything whenever and as often as you like.

Big issue is some may take the content down after a certain length of time - but I think you're legally required to do that if you tape an OTA show, it's just no-one does.

arsian

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016
Loved the earlier version of the guide and thanks so much for the update. saved me a ton of time dealing with family and friends who want to know if/how cord cutting works. One category of media that's missing from the guide is news (CNN,FOX, CNBC, MSNBC, etc.) have had many questions about both live streaming and specific shows on these channels. would be great if you could address this topic in your next version

NurseDeb53

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Streaming is a great way to attempt the cord cutting of cable TV, problem is most cable providers are starting caps for data download, and if you stream every day, you will hit the 250GB cap, as my family did in 20 days. So, there really is not way around the greed of companies like Comcast.

IslandConsulting

Commendable
May 3, 2016
While all of these alternatives are fine most of them require an Internet connection. Unfortunately, due to the lack of competition in ISPs I have a choice between AT&T U-Verse and Comcast Xfinity. In order for me to have a half-decent Internet connection I had to also accept Comcast's cable TV service. Until we get real competition in the ISP market all this discussion is meaningless.

rgd1101

Don't

Same here, when I gave up on tv service, went to a lower internet tier.

Arthur_16

Commendable
May 26, 2016
I was looking for some mention of basic cable stations like CNBC, TNT, TBS, E and FOX PRIME SPORTS. How do I get those stations?

The idea of 'cord cutting' is getting content like (and sometimes the same as) Cable TV without getting actual Cable TV.

Generally, this means stuff like streaming TV shows by episode, rather than watching the channel at the right time. Watch what you want to watch, not just what's on.

I believe there's a couple of websites that show what channels are broadcast over the air in your area - but this won't be as much as Cable TV.

Bobby_35

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
i dont care what i will have, i am not watching xfinity keep raising my rates by nickels and dimes. funny, i sign a two year contract and they can make all the changes they want to my channel selection, taxes they throw on at a whim etc but i cant get out of my contract because they jump the rate after one year and take a way channels. so just on principal im quitting but i do know that the cornerstone is the internet connection and they are the only game in town so i will be staying with them for at least that. but i do have netflix and amazon prime and im going to make them work. and with a powered hd antennae. if it sucks, oh well. guess i get off my arse and enjoy the outdoors more.....awe shucks.