Your thoughts on the Nexus 5?

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Hi!

I have recently been looking into the new Nexus 5 from LG that has recently been released. I am currently a content owner of a Samsung Galaxy S3, and while this phone is still far from being 'outdated', I do find myself missing the performance of these new, more up to date smartphones. And so I have been looking with great interest at the new Nexus 5. With top end hardware and an amazing screen to boot, it is unbelieveable that you can pick up one of these for only £300! And so im thinking I can probably get about £200 for my S3 at the minute, and £100 for an upgrade to a new phone that is twice as powerful is a bargain if you ask me. =)

Anyway, what I really want to know is, what are your thoughts on this new device? I acme accross these benchmarks earlier:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus-5-first-benchmarks-surface-top-shelf-performance_id48951

As you can see from these the 5S is still easily the more powerful, but I think in temrs of price and performance the 5S cannot even compete with the Nexus 5. THe Nexus 5 even beats the relativly recent S4 by a long shot, and the S4 costs nearly twice as much!

Now, before this thread turns into an apple-android war, please respect each others oppionions. I personally dislike the iPhone range due to the fact that Apple have failed to innovate for the last few years, and have simply brought out the same phone for the last 4 generations, just with upgraded hardware. BUT this is only my own oppionion, and I still beleive that Apple are ceratinly a force to be reckoned with with regards to performance and overall polish. =)

JOHNN93

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
first of all the thenexus 5 has the best price to preformance.
Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800
CPU Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400
2gb ram.
pure android 4.4 kitkat and since its from google you wilupdates available as soon as there out.there is no skin or any customization in the ui.
1080 x 1920 pixels, 4.95 inches (~445 ppi pixel density) man thats 119 ppi more than the iphone 5s
the specs are otrageous for our pocket and its the bang for the buck.the only thing to consider is if you like the design and thats up to you,not us.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
You are absolutely right, nothing can currently compete with the Nexus 5 as far as price to performance is concerned. Arguably with the entire nexus range. The new Nexus 7 for instance, is an absolute beast for the money.

I am definitely getting myself a Nexus 5, I was just seeing what other people thought about it as well. =)

I think the screen is amazing, considering the new Iphone 5S is still stuck on a relativly low resolution. Although it does still have a PPI of around 320, which is certainly not bad. But I think the increased pixel desity of the Nexus 5 will prove for mcuh cleaner viewing overall. Especially for things such as reading which I persoanlly do a lot of on my devices.

I like the design, I think it looks very smart and premium. In my oppinion a device doesnt have to be made out of ally or glass in order to reek of quality.

Yup, all in all Google have certainly been pulling out all the stops with thier latest generation of Nexus devices, you can only but wonder what next year will bring. =)

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
This phone is a true beast, in my opinion the only downside is lack of SD ram and battery capacity(which have to be proven first).
I'm waiting for a professional website like PA or GSM to review the device and see some battery tests then I'll go for it when it becomes available in my country even though it won't be available at low price in my country :(

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012

It is indeed a beast. =) When you say 'lack of SD RAM'what exactly do you mean? I believe it is a 2,300mah battery in the Necus 5, and going by the fact that most of the hardware used for the Nexus 5 has very good energy efficiency, I would expect the battery to last long enough. =)

I find the lack of a removable battery to be somewhat of a downside as I like to carry a spare with me whenever I go out, but I don't suppose it'll be too much more hassle just to take a portable charger instead.

Alot of people are complaining about the fact that none of the Nexus devices have an SD card slot. While I agree, this is unfortunate, I find that 16gb is more than enough for my mobile. I currently have an S3 with 16gb, and as most of my movies and music is stored on the cloud I find internal storage not to be so much of an issue.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I'm in the market for a new phone. I want to get the nexus 5 as well because i'm tired of being locked in a 2yr contract.
I've read some reviews and it's good. It may not fully compare to s4 or iphone5s as in brightness of the screen or camera and video but it's not bad.

Plus for a 32gb on google play it's $400 vs $600 to $700 for an S4 or Iphone 5s.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Does anyone have the nexus 5 already? If so, how is it so far?

I've also read that the batter life sucks and unfortunately you cannot remove the battery to get an upgrade.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Apologies for the late reply. Haven't been keeping an eye on Toms of late. =P

I have had my N5 now for a couple of weeks, and I have to say I don't regret getting it at all. There a few shortcomings with it, but nothing too major and a few niggles are to be expected with such a cheap device.

First of all, the camera isn't the best. It's far from being the worst, but it leaves plenty to be desired, especially if you have seen the likes of the Iphone or Xperia Z, etc. BUT, apparently Google are working on a software update to improve this, as a group of Android enthusiasts have already released their own camera update for rooted devices that supposedly makes it far better. =)

The battery life, again, does not overly impress. I can just about get a days use out of it while at work, only having to charge it a little when I get home, but for the weekends I make sure I have my emergency charger with me. FYI, A normal days use for me while at work is answering/sending a few calls and texts, watching some you-tube vids over 3g, reading a book, playing a couple of games. I generally have about 3-4 hours on screen time. But if battery life is an issue, you can always do what I have done and buy an emergency charger. This is the one I have bought due to its small size and the fact it has a cable built in:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Slim-Portable-External-Micro-USB-smartphones/dp/B00CTK762E/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1386079051&sr=8-10&keywords=anker+astro

Another issue I have found is that the screen will sometimes get slightly brighter or dimmer, even though auto-brightness is turned off. I have been assured via a phone call to Google tech support however that they are aware of this issue and an update will fix it. =)

Now let's get into the juicy stuff. Performance. I'll just show you a small example of the sort of performance I have been getting from my own N5.

First up, 3D mark.

Screenshot_2013-12-01-18-02-28_zpse309197c.png

The following shots show the average score for the N5 along with a few other devices. =)

Screenshot_2013-12-03-14-04-31_zps33f588a7.png

Screenshot_2013-12-03-14-04-46_zps5b63dfa7.png

I don;t know whether I just got extremely lucky or not, but hey, I'm not going to complain. XD

Next, AnTuTu:

Screenshot_2013-11-30-17-40-35_zpsae427dcd.png

Quadrant Standard:

Screenshot_2013-12-01-20-21-53_zps9a7d267a.png

And finally, Passmark:

Screenshot_2013-11-30-17-45-37_zpsffd4439d.png

Screenshot_2013-11-30-17-45-45_zps9f8cdb5c.png

Screenshot_2013-11-30-17-45-50_zpsb07e1fda.png

For some reason I seem to be getting consistently higher scores than those on the internet for the N5. Whether this is simply me getting lucky in the silicone lottery or whether the latest batch of N5's (Or Snapdragon 800's) have been particularly good I don't know. And FYI, this is actually my 2nd N5 (First on was faulty) that has scored higher than the ones on the internet. =)

Performance over, overall I love he N5. Sleek, smart design, feels nice and sturdy in the hand, a pleasure to use and performance is out of this world! Nevermind the S4 and Note 3! All you get with those two are extra features and a better camera!

The screen on the N5 is excellent. colours can look a little washed out (As is typical with LCD displays), blacks in particular, but colour reproduction is out of this world and it really is a beautiful screen. =)