YouTube Considering Paid, Ad-Free Subscription Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeSkillenSlice

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014
The more YouTube talks about adding a subscription model to their service the more compelled I feel to want to try AD Block and see how just much of my time in my daily life is saved by using it. I am quite literally getting bombarded with ads every 2nd or 3rd video. Even quick ads that can be skipped can still in the end waste around 10 mins of your time throughout the day as you watch videos, especially if you watch a lot.

I'd even go so far as to say that around 10-20 mins of my time is spent either pressing the skip button or watching the full 30 seconds that the ad may be. Its ridiculous.

So far Google has seemed to support their "don't act stupid or be evil" mantra but don't take it to far Google. Find better ways to advertise.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Ill pay as long as I do not have to sit through one more 30 second (no optional skip) Call of Duty Advanced whatever one more time. The game looks terrible and it has ads on pretty much any gaming oriented channel and usually shows twice in a 30min video.

Xyos

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Building in the method to DIRECTLY SUPPORT individual youtubers via subs is what I want to see. If I am subbed to Totalbiscuit, dont want his ads but want to support him, I should be able to pay a low 2-5 dollar per month sub fee that goes directly to his channel.

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Hmmm. I have few extra bucks in my pocket every month. Should I, A) Donate the money to a humanitarian cause, or should I, B) give the money to Google so I don't have to deal with the anguish of advertisements when I watch Minecraft videos and fail compilations..... God help us all.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
adblocker works wonders.
google can stick their evil paid to not play plan up this arse, which is incidentally the same place where their idea to put ads on youtube came from in the first place. pay me to watch ads, it's my time being wasted.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
there’s going to be a point where people don’t want to see the ads
Long past that point. Banner ads etc. around the video I could put up with. Ads that play before or during the video, nope. Similar with text ads that show up over the top of the video. Adblock ftw.

milkod2001

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Google should actually paid us for forcing us to watch ads and not only on youtube. 90% of all ads are scam anyway.

Ads are everywhere, nobody wants them.There should be law protecting customer saying if advertisement company wants to bother you with ads, it has to pay for that.

ewok93

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
AdBlock is nice, I don't see why more people don't use it. Can be disabled if you want to support a website that has unintrusive ads, too. Also, it's free.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Adblock is nice but it can be detected. There are sites which refuse to load unless you disable it.
And once google offers paid ad removal, they are likely going to do the same. Or they can have their servers insert the ad into the actual clip you are streaming (it's a separate clip now, easily filtered out).
It's also easy to prevent clip downloading. I've seen sites cutting all clips into many small pieces, making the download impractical.

Thyri Carver

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
I would totally pay Youtube for an ad free version. I just wonder though how that affects the content creators who get a cut from those ads playing. Will Youtube give the content creators a certain cut for every paid subscriber who views their content as if the content was displayed with an ad or 3? I'd definitely be interested as long as my favourite content creators receive compensation for their content.

Status
Not open for further replies.