Youtube-MP3 Fires Back @ Google's Legal Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylar365

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
"As reported back in June, Google started going after services that allowed users to record and/or download YouTube videos"

Like Adobe Soundbooth and the "Stereo Mix" recording input on my PC? Good luck with that, Google.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]sylar365[/nom]"As reported back in June, Google started going after services that allowed users to record and/or download YouTube videos"Like Adobe Soundbooth and the "Stereo Mix" recording input on my PC? Good luck with that, Google.[/citation]

Surprised you are capable of using them if you thought that is what they meant...

amuffin

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Do what you want, ‘cause a pirate is free,
YOU ARE A PIRATE!
Yar har, fiddle di dee,
Being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want ‘cause a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

sylar365

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]Do what you want, ‘cause a pirate is free,YOU ARE A PIRATE!Yar har, fiddle di dee,Being a pirate is alright to be,Do what you want ‘cause a pirate is free,You are a pirate![/citation]

Surprised you could write that comment since you have no reading comprehension or deductive reasoning skills. Of course Adobe Soundbooth isn't exactly what the article was referring to. It is just the simplest form of all the programs that someone else wrote that require less "clicks" to do the same thing. And of course most people (like you) need a program that they can get from Download.com that is basically a script written to do exactly was I was talking about. Yes, I know about those and have also seen Nyan Cat. (derp) You aren't schooling anyone here so go find someone more defenseless to be a jerk to. The point was that all these programs are doing is recording what your computer is already playing legally, whether at 1x speed or faster through the cache.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
So what is Google claiming, that people are recording copyrighted material off their embedded content? Does that mean that Google admits to knowingly hosting copyrighted content, some of which they themselves do not have a right to host considering they do not control user uploads? Or are they just upset at their new pay service content being copied? I don't think Google thought this one through.

Well, whatever. Hey guys, there's dozens of video hosting sites around that offer you download buttons, what are you still using Youtube for? It's become a wasteland. The partner system created a bunch of money grubbing cliques so it's more about being popular rather than being creative or entertaining. On top of that now that they HAVE licensed content they've become concerned about download tools that have been around since the beginning. I guess when it's a common person making videos copying isn't a problem, but when it's Viacom's content, suddenly taking other people's content is an issue.

All the original content creators that actually care about their audience left Youtube. Maybe the audience should too. It's not a place where joe smith can download interesting videos or programs anymore, it's a money making machine. Google's another dog of the media industry trying to pretend they're one of the cool kids still.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]jamessneed[/nom]I think he has a valid point. Now if Google would just be less evil.[/citation]
I thought Google's informal motto was "Don't be evil", oh I forgot that's just some crap they throw out there so that people will ignore that they're data mining the hell out of all of us. To the article at hand, all of this just shows how greedy Google is. They just want everyone to go to their site every time someone wants to listen to a song and give them advertising revenues. All of this isn't really even about copyright because Google has nothing to gain from helping the record labels (except maybe more stuff on the Google Play store). It's all about Google getting more money. Realize people that Google is an advertising company first and a search site out to help the world second.

whimseh

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
How is Google evil, lol? It's very illegal and this stupid mp3 service should be shut down and its creator thrown in prison.

nigelren

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Perhaps Google should issue them with 'take down' notices and then Youtube-mp3 can publish stats on their web site saying how bad these oppressive governments/companies are for trying to deny their freedom of speech.
Google just thinks it's above it's own standards as well as everyone elses!

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
This story about the MP3 ripping site actually got me to find a Firefox addon to do just that. Now I can listen to all those cool songs in the car, yay!

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]sylar365[/nom]Surprised you could write that comment since you have no reading comprehension or deductive reasoning skills. Of course Adobe Soundbooth isn't exactly what the article was referring to. It is just the simplest form of all the programs that someone else wrote that require less "clicks" to do the same thing. And of course most people (like you) need a program that they can get from Download.com that is basically a script written to do exactly was I was talking about. Yes, I know about those and have also seen Nyan Cat. (derp) You aren't schooling anyone here so go find someone more defenseless to be a jerk to. The point was that all these programs are doing is recording what your computer is already playing legally, whether at 1x speed or faster through the cache.[/citation]

Oh god the irony..

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This is an interesting legal argument and seems plausible to a layman (like me). I think that it should not be possible to give up the ability to record media via a TOS agreement. TOS agreements shouldn't allow people to give up rights at all as many of them are ridiculous and nobody reads them any more.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
[citation]...Philip Matesanz compares it to taping music from the radio using a cassette.[/citation]

Bad analogy. You don't get to choose the music on the radio.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom][citation]...Philip Matesanz compares it to taping music from the radio using a cassette.[/citation]Bad analogy. You don't get to choose the music on the radio.[/citation]
Doesn't matter, the concept is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.