YouTube TV vs Hulu + Live TV: Which cable TV alternative wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2023
You over looked little features that I think make YTTV stand out, such as the resume watching of your most recent shows and that it'll pick right up where you left off on what you were watching last regardless of the time of day in the background . Also I wonder how the DVR's match up in terms of features , that one thing that makes YTTV's DVR so amazing is it self manages. I never have to go clean things up etc, you add a show and forget it. I do not how hulu's operates but it would have been nice to see a breakdown.

Reactions: jiminos
Oct 12, 2023
After reading the comparison, I'm definitely switching to YouTube from Hulu. With Hulu, your account is tied to your location and if you have a second home, Hulu only allows you switch locations five times, and then forces you to buy another subscription.

Oct 18, 2023
I've been a YTTV user for several years. If you've only just begun using YTTV, here's a few tidbits you can look forward to...

One or more episodes in your DVR that you've watched weeks (or months) ago will suddenly be marked "unwatched." As a special bonus, you can't mark them "watched" on your smart TV - you'll have to 1) start the program and fast forward to the end (and I've seen this method fail), or 2) open YTTV in your computer web browser where you can scroll through the episodes and mark them "watched."

If you're watching a program from your DVR and something pops-up that forces you to stop watching, chances are the program will be considered "watched" and disappear from your DVR. You'll have to find it in the "Most Watched" of "Shows" section to rejoin.

YTTV just recently decided to add a recap of ►EVERY◄ NFL game each week. You didn't ask for it. Some programmer somewhere decided you'd love this new feature. Since there's no way to mark them "watched" on your smart TV, you'll need to use your computer to browse your DVR, and mark each-and-every recap "watched." No - there's no option to mark the entire DVR folder "watched." ENJOY!

On the plus side YTTV allows you to change the order of channels in your live guide. You can also hide those channels you wouldn't be caught dead watching in your current lifetime. I don't know if Hulu does this.

Pro Tip: While browsing your Live Guide you can LEFT arrow (◄-) on your controller to highlight the network logo on the left edge (e.g. ABC) and select it to open a listing of On Demand shows available for the network.

I set "Yellowstone" to be recorded. Not one episode has shown up in my DVR. I can open the On Demand for CBS and watch episodes, but they just don't get added to my DVR. As programmers say, it's not a bug, it's a feature.

We've liked (not loved) YTTV since 2018. On November 23 were switching to Hulu+Disney+Live TV. There are programs on Hulu and Disney+ we watch, and switching reduces our costs by about $10 and more importantly, we'll get the History Channel (Oak Island, Pawn Stars, etc). Being old, retired, and cheap it makes sense. Hey, it's like getting an (almost) free foot long sub every month! Overall, we'd not hesitate to recommend YTTV, it's been a good value.

Feb 25, 2024
I started with HULU way back before any streaming service offered local stations and it was free. Then it went ad free for a fee. Then it added live local tv for a larger fee. That is when I fired the cable company. Then came YTTV and friends had told me how great it was and I switched and was impressed. Over a couple of years I switched between them as they both started having original programming. I have stayed with YTTV for a few years now and this article confirms it is the best choice although I do see some HULU original shows I'd like to see but I'll wait until they're on NF or Prime in the near future. I really enjoyed watching the recent NFL and NCAA seasons via highlights. Life is too short to watch a sixty minute game take three hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.