YouTuber Offered $30M Contract with Sam Raimi

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom]Again another article that people come shit all over it, Of course there is over head with anything you do but who knows if the software and hardware he used wasn't already payed for by something else he did.I mean a bunch of yall bitching and nitpicking at the cost, you probably built your own system right? When you tell people how much it cost do you figure in the cost of your hourly rate, your screwdriver set, the knife you used to cut the tape off the box, or the soda you drank when you installed the OS, the cost of the keyboard from your previous build, or even the electricity it has used since you built it?It not like this guy decided one day he was going to going to buy a new pc, buy brand new software, higher people he didn't know and and get a new camera to make a CG movie from scratch, I can almost guarantee he had all that equipment.Its like a Mechanic buying brand new tools to do his own car when he already has all the tool in his shop.[/citation]

I'm afraid you don't understand what cost is; yes, when I build computers for clients, I do charge them a slight markup above the cost of components, and that markup includes the cost of my electricity, tools, time, etc.
Why do you think retailed items cost more than they do directly from the manufacturer? There is a cost associated with the shipping, paying the people to sell it, etc.
There is a cost associated with everything; in terms of his equipment, no, I'm not saying the entire cost needs to be included, but a portion does, as it cost him something sometime.
Think about it this way; if he didn't have a video camera, how would he shoot it? He would have to purchase one, and it would then be included in the cost of production, but as he uses it more, the cost considered for the original use decreases, as the subsequent uses demand a portion of the overall cost of the camera.

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]griffed88[/nom]wow, I struggle to believe he spent only $300. This looks waaaaaay better than that Turbo movie that USC grad student made and his budget was $100,000[/citation]

HAHAHAHA comparing this short film to a student film is rather pathetic. why? Students Films = FAIL They amount to nothing. What matters in Hollywood is who you know, do you know what you are doing, and a reel (resume in dvd form) of your past/present work.

trust me; i'm 22 and i'm working in the film business already. i did go to film school, which is good in some aspects (don't go to a 4yr though), i'd say 90% of the films at a film school are terrible.

when was the last time you heard of someone from any film school, USC, UCLA, LMU, Academy of Art University, LAFS, etc get this much attention for a short?? LoL

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
[citation][nom]pepperman[/nom]I'm afraid you don't understand what cost is; yes, when I build computers for clients, I do charge them a slight markup above the cost of components, and that markup includes the cost of my electricity, tools, time, etc. Why do you think retailed items cost more than they do directly from the manufacturer? There is a cost associated with the shipping, paying the people to sell it, etc. There is a cost associated with everything; in terms of his equipment, no, I'm not saying the entire cost needs to be included, but a portion does, as it cost him something sometime. Think about it this way; if he didn't have a video camera, how would he shoot it? He would have to purchase one, and it would then be included in the cost of production, but as he uses it more, the cost considered for the original use decreases, as the subsequent uses demand a portion of the overall cost of the camera.[/citation]

I'm afraid you don't know what this article is saying or what this guy has done.

He made this of his own free will, he was not commissioned or asked to do it. In fact my argument of a mechanic is a perfect example.

The mechanic owns his own shop and tools, charges people his rate to fix THEIR cars. Now he starts his own project car and spends 3000 dollars, his cost only includes parts, cause he doesn't charge himself for his own car. He takes the car to a auto show and is then asked to make a car for someone else.

This guy owns his own computer and software, charges people his rate to make THEIR videos. Now he starts his own project video and spends 300 dollars, his cost only includes actor fees, cause he doesn't charge himself for his own video. He posts the video on youtube and is then asked to make the video for someone else.

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom]I'm afraid you don't know what this article is saying or what this guy has done.He made this of his own free will, he was not commissioned or asked to do it. In fact my argument of a mechanic is a perfect example. The mechanic owns his own shop and tools, charges people his rate to fix THEIR cars. Now he starts his own project car and spends 3000 dollars, his cost only includes parts, cause he doesn't charge himself for his own car. He takes the car to a auto show and is then asked to make a car for someone else.This guy owns his own computer and software, charges people his rate to make THEIR videos. Now he starts his own project video and spends 300 dollars, his cost only includes actor fees, cause he doesn't charge himself for his own video. He posts the video on youtube and is then asked to make the video for someone else.[/citation]

But he (and the mechanic) charges himself in opportunity costs; how much money could he have made had he spent the time using his tools (or computer and software) fixing other peoples cars (or making videos for others, provided that's what he actually does)?

From your reply to my post, it seems you didn't understand exactly what I meant in my post; (from the perspective of the mechanic) using his tools on his personal car project still incurs the cost of the portion of the tools he used (the portion itself could be thought of in many different ways; time used for current project divided by time tools owned, the current project divided by total projects for which tools were used, revenue from current project divided by revenue from total projects, etc.). The cost per use diminishes with each use, but it never goes to 0; this means there is always a cost when doing something, even when one uses one's own belongings/tools, since you paid a price for it at some point.
This same principal applies to the director of this video; the tools he used still cost him something at some point, and it cost him a portion of that original cost to make this film.

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
as for all of this cost analysis, at this point in time, it simply DOES NOT matter. If you want to look so deep into the money involved then you must not only look at the hardware required (ie computer and camera), but you must also look at the cycle of filmmaking as a whole. you have pre-production, production, post-production and other varies requirements that do take money and time. now whether this filmmaker did in fact follow how films are made; who knows, but by the looks of this short, one can see that this short film was carefully thought out and produced.

also, purchasing and using his own equipment is considerably cheaper than having professionals do it; DP, Boom Operator, Sound Mixer, Director, Producer, AC, Editor, Sound Designer, etc. The cost of each of these professionals is in the upwards of at least $1,000 per person.

versus the cost of equipment; which i wont go into depth because we all know the basic pricing of computers and various other electronics.

johntram

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
regardless.. so much of a movie involves story-telling, plot, direction, and artistic vision. You need more than money, time, or know-how to make a good movie..like Schindler's List or Grapes of Wrath.. good stories tend to come from other art mediums like books

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]johntram[/nom]regardless.. so much of a movie involves story-telling, plot, direction, and artistic vision. You need more than money, time, or know-how to make a good movie..like Schindler's List or Grapes of Wrath.. good stories tend to come from other art mediums like books[/citation]

LoL, the screen writing comes before pre-production and continues until post-production is complete. a script, goes through various versons before filming, during filming, and even during post in the editing process. this once great idea from a writer has been transformed into various ideas from the director, actors, and editor. the editor really is the one who creates the story, he has the power to create those emotions which we see on the screen.

and to be quite honest, most big budget films are under strict time frames, starting the day the project is green lit til it is released. so time is definitely a factor as well as money. money is probably one of the most important items required for films; without it, there is no movie. so to even get this "good story" you need money and time :)

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
This video cost only $300 because he didn't bill himself for his time and talent. If another artist or team of artists were making a movie, it would cost huge amounts because they charge huge amounts for their talents.

In this case, he didn't charge himself anything but his next one is going to cost $30 million for his time and talent like anyone else would charge.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom]That was jaw dropping for 300 bucks, I'm glad to share the same last name as this man , shows you what us Hispanics can do with almost nothing[/citation]
Well, around here we only have Philipinos, and they don't work nearly as cheap...
[citation][nom]dl100[/nom]Awesome!! Go Latin American sci-fi!!! If he can do this with 300 bucks, I wish him well with $30M. I'd give his movie a watch, even with subtitles.[/citation]
You see the budget on District 9? It *only* cost a mere $30,000,000, which was mostly for renting the military equipment (tanks, helicopters from the U.N. etc.).
If they guy actually writes and directs a feature length movie, then that's something I'll go and pay $10 to see. =D

dmwright

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
It should be stated somewhere that this article is not about money, but about an opportunity given to a guy who uploaded a video on youtube. Either way he is being sponsored by Sam Reimi. Who has movies like spiderman to his credit. I don't know a lot about Sam, but from the looks of his movies, I highly doubt he has given 30million to make a budget movie. Remember 30million in the US is obviously less than 30million in say Argentina. Obviously this guy has skill and passion.

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]dmwright[/nom]It should be stated somewhere that this article is not about money, but about an opportunity given to a guy who uploaded a video on youtube. Either way he is being sponsored by Sam Reimi. Who has movies like spiderman to his credit. I don't know a lot about Sam, but from the looks of his movies, I highly doubt he has given 30million to make a budget movie. Remember 30million in the US is obviously less than 30million in say Argentina. Obviously this guy has skill and passion.[/citation]

Sam Reimi is also going to be directing the World of Warcraft movie lol just fyi :)

i do agree with your statement about this guys skill and passion. when it comes down to filmmaking, yes it is about money, star power, production value, and time. but when you have a person like this guy, making an awesome short film, just for shits and giggles, that my friends is definitely passion.

putting up money for any movie is like the stock market; its a big time risk, and the end result is what matters. sometimes its good and sometimes its bad. for this guy; its really good

santeana

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
[citation][nom]pepperman[/nom]Indeed, however (opportunity costs aside), one must consider his electrical expenditures from charging the video camera battery, the energy used to power the machine with which he performed his editing (unless of course these were done using public power, which I'm guessing at least the editing was definitely not). If we want to be totally inclusive, we need to consider a portion of the cost of the camera, the computer, etc. that were used.Though you are probably right about not many people caring...[/citation]

Yeah.... and lets not forget the immense power costs to fire up all those giant robots!!

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]zingam[/nom]great effects but zero story - very great for Holywood[/citation]

sigh another one of these ppl...

let me ask you this; do you ever have an idea and just do it? or do you weigh the consequences and take that idea and morph it into something else that takes years to complete?

thats what happens when you take an idea for a film and transform it into a story that the audience will like and relate too. years.

this was a 5 minute idea this guy had and decided to do it just because he can; and probably because he has the basic consumer level utilities to do it with. he was not trying to create a story; which is rather difficult to do in a short 5 minute film.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
It was with $300 of software and hardware. Not including his already existent PC/Mac. It doesn't include what his time is worth making this. When you spend money in Hollywood, the people like to get paid for their time, hardware and software costs are pretty minimal when you're paying 5+ guys at $20-$50/hr for 2 years at 40+ hours/week.

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
What about the cost of his parents feeding him and raising him?
Sometimes people take things too far.Regardless he is now set for life with what he was able to do.I say congrats.

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]It was with $300 of software and hardware. Not including his already existent PC/Mac. It doesn't include what his time is worth making this. When you spend money in Hollywood, the people like to get paid for their time, hardware and software costs are pretty minimal when you're paying 5+ guys at $20-$50/hr for 2 years at 40+ hours/week.[/citation]

You obviously don't know how Hollywood really works. LoL. I work for a trailer house where editors are getting paid $200,000+ a year to create astounding movie trailers, now mind you, these are just 2min movie trailers. LoL.

Now lets think about these "5+ guys" you said, most are going to be freelance and this paycheck needs to cover the cost of their rent, food, travel expenses, etc. Apartments alone cost over $1,800 for a studio in Hollywood. So these "5+ guys" will be asking for at least 2K a project if not more. You also should understand that Hollywood DOES NOT follow the 9-5pm workday bullshit. Shooting a film could take you from 5am-11pm, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. Great thing is, you are making art and getting a shit ton of money to do it.

And you may be asking why? Well, when you work in Hollywood as a freelance editor, sound designer, DP, etc you build a reputation. People start talking about you and you use your contacts to get work, especially if you are really good at what you do you get on some awesome projects, and im not talking about any of this indie film shit, im talking full on union projects, working at studios and big name stars.

So, you are correct about "people like to get paid for their time", but you completely underestimated the amount of time and money involved. You also don't quite understand the cost of hardware and software we use in Hollywood. This isnt some custom built PC you made for grandma with Windows 7 or the most basic Mac Pro from Apple with a 15% discount. These machines are the most expensive Mac Pro's running the most expensive software powered by the most expensive 3rd party real-time rendering hardware. On top of that, you have $80,000 Digibeta, HDCam, DVCam, HDVCam, etc decks that films are telecined too from the original 32mm film.

This filmmaker is headed in the right direction :)

Status
Not open for further replies.