Z506 and Z313 subs to same signals?

Rvn

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015
Hey!
I just got my friends old Logitech z506 5.1 system. And I previously myself had the Logitech Z313 2.1 system. I wired them up to my pci sound crad so the 313 satellites are my front speakers and the 506 front and rear are rear and back so I have 7.1 sound. But the problem is that only the 506 sub gets the sub tones. The Z313 sub only plays deep tones sent to the front speakers (almost nothing cuz its all going to the 506 sub). I wonder if theres a way to make both of the subs get the sub signal from my sound card? The wiring to the 313 satellites goes through the sub (power and data) so if I connencted the subs data or whatever its called to the 506 subs data, still using the 313 ac cable for the 313 sub and 506 ac cable for 506 sub, it won't work cuz ill have the satellites getting the sub signal as well. Please help!

Solution
if you have it set up as 7.1 then nothing short of splitting the subwoofer signal from the c/sub line and pushing it onto the L/R front line (such as with Y's, splitters and mono/stereo adapter cables) is going to give you z313 subwoofer firing. this is due to how the pc outputs sound (on 5.1 and 7.1 it outputs subwoofer only one the c/sub's subwoofer line) and how the z313 handles subwoofer sound (it pulls it from its L/R front input).

technically if you bought a cheap external amplifier that has a physical control on it for adjusting volume you could power the z313 front speakers with it (connected up to that instead of the subwoofer) and then Y the c/sub cable, split to mono, then push mono to stereo and hook that into the subwoofer...
if you have it set up as 7.1 then nothing short of splitting the subwoofer signal from the c/sub line and pushing it onto the L/R front line (such as with Y's, splitters and mono/stereo adapter cables) is going to give you z313 subwoofer firing. this is due to how the pc outputs sound (on 5.1 and 7.1 it outputs subwoofer only one the c/sub's subwoofer line) and how the z313 handles subwoofer sound (it pulls it from its L/R front input).

technically if you bought a cheap external amplifier that has a physical control on it for adjusting volume you could power the z313 front speakers with it (connected up to that instead of the subwoofer) and then Y the c/sub cable, split to mono, then push mono to stereo and hook that into the subwoofer and it would receive the same signal your other sub does. this would involve buying another amplifier though which i dont think is what you wanted to do.

or... easiest is to just forget the z313 subwoofer completely. turn its response rate to minimum or run a high pass filter on the line to it to completely block it off from firing and just use the z506 sub. (or just use only the z506 and ignore 7.1)

Solution

Rvn

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015

Oh, thanks! By splitting and using an adapter, do you mean I use an Y-splitter for the sub out from my sound card and then A reverse Y-splitter (whatever its called) to join them back so the z313 set will get the sub and front signals and then filter them itself? That sound easy and should work!
Also they can be ran alone without the sub but I'll need to get an amp and one more volume to adjust to find the "sweet spot". You're right. But I like my z313 sub with it so I think I'll try the Y splitter and joiner thingy :p
Thx a lot.
Next up would be how should I place my speakers but I think I'll dedicate a new thread to it :)

Felippe

Estimable
Aug 21, 2015
Just configure your front speakers with lower frequencies! This is happening because when you configure a 7.1 system, your PC cuts the low frequencies of the 7 speakers and send to the 1 sub. So if you configure it to send the low frequencies to the front speakers to, it would work. (In some softwares to do this you just need to configure your front speakers as "big" speakers)