Z5500's Too Much Power for An Apartment?

CobaltRed

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Hi folks,

I'm looking to turn my computer into an excellent DVD and PC game system, as well as my main music source in my room. I was initially going to get the Logitech Z5500's because I really wanted 5.1 surround, but I'm concerned after reading the reviews that they will be too loud for my current living situation.

I live on the top floor of a 2 family house, divided into 2 four bedroom apartments. My room is NOT directly above anyone else and I don't share any walls with any of the other tenants. All the floors in the building are hardwood and it's an old building so the soundproofing of each room is ok but not great. I have one roommate about 10 feet down the hall on each side of me. My room is about 15'x15' and I would most likely set up the 5.1 on opposite walls of the room, although I'd consider putting some on a stand nearer the middle if I felt it was warranted.

I'm worried that the z5500's are just too much speaker for my current living situation and I don't want to piss off my roommates. I have a good headset for use late at night, but if these are truly floorshakers I don't think I want to be doing that even during the day and early evening! Can anyone give their opinion on whether I am better off going for a high quality 2.1 system to keep noise levels down or whether I will be able to keep the rumble on the z5500's low enough while still enjoying great audio?

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
There's no such thing as too much power. You can always keep the volume on the low side, and a speaker sounds better when it's running at 20% of its potential than it does when it is straining. I'd say go for it.

Case in point: I have a pair of these and one of these in my dorm room (they never even come close to their limit though - they're plenty loud at a fraction of their full volume).

Broosta

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
I reckon just get them.
The sub can be turned down separately and then when you know others are out of the building or during the day you can still crank it up to give it a bit of a blast.
But yes they really are floor shakers if you want them to be.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
The only thing you need to be concern about is the Bass sound, you need to isolate some of the sound vibration by:

1 - Raising the Sub about four feet of the floor.
2 - Placing the speaker driver and the port hole away from any wall.
3 - Checking the hallway for sound level and check how to isolate more.
4 - Checking any vibration of any units like doors and cabinets.
5 - Adjusting volume level.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
There's no real reason to raise the sub off the floor. It will be fine when on the floor. As for the driver and port facing away from the wall, that's a good idea in any case.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Most of my installations, raising the Sub and placing sound absorption nearby help decrease the sound vibration transferred to the floor especially where the sub stands.

Sound isolation is the target so he needs to do the best way possible to isolate the sound. Beside there’s no harm in trying.