z906 to a computer monitor? xl2420g?

ninjamatt

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
Hey guys, I'm a bit new to this audio tech. But I'm trying to connect logitech z906 to a computer monitor XL2420G. However I've read that z906 does not support HDMI and xl2420G does not have any optical output. I've been looking at some HDMI to optical converter but I'm lost with all these infos, even after hours of research. I was wondering if someone would help me out in a newbie friendly guide to connect logitech z906 to xl2420g while retaining all the sounds and video quality if possible. Thanks in advance!

Solution
yikes. thats quite a list of numbers you have there :lol: looks like i'll have to break this one down into sections:

---

So basically the PC sends audio/video info to the receiver and the receiver outputs that audio/video info to the speaker and tv/monitors.

**yes, your computer sends a digital audio-video signal via hdmi to the receiver. the receiver then takes the audio portion, converts it to analog, amplifies it and sends it to your speakers (just like a soundcard would do for your pc). at the same time it also lets you push audio-video out the hdmi output to send to your tv or monitor. now you can use a receiver without using video-passthrough but the cabling sure is convenient, especially if you use only one monitor and arent...

ninjamatt

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
Thanks for the fast replies guys. Due to my lack of knowledge, I forgot that i could connect z906 to my pc. I have another question though which is how do I achieve PCM sounds? I know that if I would go to the z906 route (I haven't bought z906 yet but I do have the xl2420g) i might be wrong but the only thing I could get as close to pcm sound is the compressed dolby digital and I need a dolby digital live soundcard which is exclusive to x-fi cards since the z906 only has optical output and in order to get pcm, I would need to use hdmi. So I was wondering,

1. if it's possible to achieve pure pcm sound with z906? if so, how?

2. If I can't achieve pcm sounds on the z906, What do you recommend for me to achieve pcm? such as new speakers or something else?

Thanks for the replies guys! =]

on optical connections PCM (though what i think you're really referring to is lossless, uncompressed audio) is only achievable for 2.0 stereo. otherwise it needs to be compressed with DDL, DTS-C or similar. this is a limitation of optical's bandwidth.

however, you forget that the z906 has 3x 3.5mm connections which are used for pc. these are the equivalent of PCM sound (lossless, uncompressed audio) and can be connected right up to your computer normally without buying a soundcard (using your motherboard's onboard audio). if you use a laptop which doesnt have enough ports for this, then buying an external soundcard is the fix. you need to specify WHAT you're hooking up to though if you do not understand .

-

also, for just a bit more than the price of the z906 its possible to get into home theater speakers (which blow the z906 away in terms of sound quality). something worth thinking about. i would look at the energy take classic 5.1 (or its much cheaper clone the monoprice 10565). both would need to get hooked up to a receiver though (control box) which you would need to buy seperate from the speakers. generally you would run hdmi out of your computer to the receiver and all signals will be PCM of course.

ninjamatt

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
Thanks for the recommendation of Classic Energy 5.1! I'm trying to hook it up to my PC that I'm trying to build and my motherboard is x99 Classified. (Not sure if that's the info you're looking for) After a bit of more browsing, I came up with some more questions haha. So I was wondering,

1. Which receiver do you recommend along with the Classic Energy 5.1?

2. I heard that Classic Energy 5.1 needs a break-in period so in order to reach that break in point, I would just have to play all kinds of music in different ranges until it "breaks in" right? How long would that break-in period be?

3. By running hdmi out of my computer, what do you mean by that? Like, would I just use the hdmi cable, connect it from my motherboard in my PC to the receiver and that's it? Would my motherboard be able to do that?

4. What speaker wires do you recommend?

5. What mounts would you recommend to go with the Classic Energy 5.1?

Love your recommendations btw and thanks in advance!

ah, an x99 classified board should have 5.1 support so 3.5mm for the z906 would work fine if you went that route

--

1. you would need a receiver capable of outputting anywhere in the range of 20w to 100w per channel at 8ohm impedence. this would be listed on the spec sheet of the receiver. i would suggest in the 80-100w range to get the most use out of them although even lower powered receivers at 50w would be suitable. i've personally had good luck in the other room with a sony strdh540 we picked up for under $200 on a deep discount sale although onkyo are a good budget brand as well. other good brands (but often pricier) are denon, yamaha and pioneer (i use this on my main system). my own personal brand preference lies with pioneer. i would avoid "no name" brand receivers you might find like pyle (even refurbished name brands are better than pyle junk). generally a new receiver will cost you at least $200 on a good discount or at least $150 for a good refurbished.

2. i've not heard of a break in period for this set. while true that some speakers/headphones sound better after a break in period it is also true that many sound about the same after such a period. if you are worried about it you can calibrate them out of the box and then calibrate them again a few weeks later. while i do not own energies (i own the klipsch quintet iv [$500] and a klipsch sw-450 [$300] on my main setup and a pair of sony ssf-5000's [$200] in the other room) and have not noted much of a change over time from day one. as for whether there is a change it depends on the actual speakers being used as some do, some do not.

3. you have two options for hdmi. connect the hdmi out of your graphics card and send all signals into the receiver and then from the receivers output hdmi send that to your monitor (called video passthrough)... or if you dont like that idea you could just run a hdmi cable by itself to the receiver (and not use the receivers output hdmi) and it will show up as an aux monitor in your list but in reality only be used as an audio stream no video interface. it might also be possible to run hdmi out of your motherboard but so things play nice i'd use connectings out of your graphics card (unless you have no graphics card in which case on the motherboard is fine). personally what i do myself is hdmi out the gpu and then hdmi out the receiver to a tv.

4. that depends on how far of a distance you need them to travel. in general i would say 16 (thicker, better) or 18 (a bit thinner) gauge speaker wire is fine. if you can get 14awg for the same price then great. here is a nice chart - factor in your longest length of wire (including any up/down/sideways needs for running under floors, in walls, in the ceilings, etc). your load is 8ohm for the top portion of the chart http://inwallspeakers1.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/speaker-wire-gauge-guide.png or if you are outside usa heres an awg to metric conversion https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1297/599107189_43882d2e6d.jpg i would also suggest (purely optional!) using banana clips on the back of your receiver (but using the normal binding posts on the back of your speakers) to make things a bit cleaner and easier to remove for cleaning. if you need to run through the walls i'd suggest speaker banana clip wall plates. you can see some of what i'm talking about in my own setup from my setup images http://postimg.org/gallery/ql0xj0nu/

5. sorry, cannot help you completely with speaker mounts for the energies and i've not dealt with them though i can tell you a few things. WALL MOUNTING: i will say that since energies are rear ported you do not want to flat mount them on the wall (with the keyhole tab) but instead want to give them some space and use the threaded insert for mounting purposes on a mount which is away from the wall. something like the omni-mount would work http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Xd2PDezQL._SY300_.jpg STAND MOUNTING: you can get away with many different styles of stand but i found this one had a review by a user specifically noting energy 5.1 http://www.amazon.com/Theater-Series-adjustable-speakers-satellite/dp/B0000CFYOL you have more options than what i've listed (search around a bit) but that gets you started.

ninjamatt

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
So basically the PC sends audio/video info to the receiver and the receiver outputs that audio/video info to the speaker and tv/monitors.

1. If I were to do SLI with my graphics card, would I have to connect via hdmi from EACH of the gpu to the receiver or one gpu is enough? i.e. 4 way sli would require 4 hdmi cables for each gpu to the receiver?

2. For example, if I were to purchase this receiver, Yamaha RX-V777BT, it says that it upscales to 4k 60p.

If I were to connect the receiver to my xl2420g which is 144hz and set it to 4k, does the amount of #p matters? Would the receiver sort of bottleneck and makes it display as 60p instead of max 144hz even though my game FPS would be higher than 60FPS? Is there some kind of receiver #p categories like monitors have with 60hz/120hz/144hz? If there is, would the receiver's lower #p bottleneck the higher monitor's #hz? I know the FPS depends on the video card.

3. If I were to set my game settings to 4k, would I need a receiver that has 4k content pass-through?

4. Would the Yamaha RX-V777BT automatically upscales to 4k without me having to turn on the game settings to 4k?

5. Would I need an actual 4k monitor/tv for the receiver to upscale to 4k?

6. If I were to get a 4k monitor/tv, I've read somewhere that the 4k tv will automatically upscale anything to 4k.

6a. If that's true, then the receiver's 4k upscale would be pointless?

6b. I also wouldn't have to set the game settings to 4k right?

6c. Only one hardware would have to do the 4k upscaling or else there will be some technical problems?

6d. How would I know if the contents I'm receiving is upscaled to 4k?

7. If some super rich guy were to purchase a 4k 120p or higher tv, the receiver will work the same, it's just that the receiver won't need to upscale anymore?

8. Would I have to do anything special such as new cables/hardwares or playing with the receiver's settings or the receiver will upscale automatically to the xl2420g?

9. Is the classic energy 5.1 upgradable to 7.1 and beyond in the future? If so, how would I do that? Are all computer speaker upgradable to 7.1 and beyond?

10. Is there a 7.1 surround sound computer speaker you'd recommend?

11. Do receivers have input lags? or does gaming in 5.1/7.1 or beyond, etc have input lag?

12. Are you able to plug both consoles and PC to the same receiver and switch between them back and forth and play from the same monitor/tv?

13. Lastly, I'd like to hear your personal opinion about this receiver, Yamaha RX-V777BT, going with the classic energy 5.1/ the 7.1 computer speaker you'd recommend if you have any/another 7.1 speakers + another receiver haha.

Thanks in advance.

yikes. thats quite a list of numbers you have there :lol: looks like i'll have to break this one down into sections:

---

**yes, your computer sends a digital audio-video signal via hdmi to the receiver. the receiver then takes the audio portion, converts it to analog, amplifies it and sends it to your speakers (just like a soundcard would do for your pc). at the same time it also lets you push audio-video out the hdmi output to send to your tv or monitor. now you can use a receiver without using video-passthrough but the cabling sure is convenient, especially if you use only one monitor and arent using anything fancy like 120/144hz (which it might not support.. in which case you would hook it up not using video passthrough).

1. If I were to do SLI with my graphics card, would I have to connect via hdmi from EACH of the gpu to the receiver or one gpu is enough? i.e. 4 way sli would require 4 hdmi cables for each gpu to the receiver?

**treat it as you would a monitor. would you hook 4 hdmi cables into a monitor (No). you need only one connection to the receiver just as you would need one to any one monitor.

2. For example, if I were to purchase this receiver, Yamaha RX-V777BT, it says that it upscales to 4k 60p.

If I were to connect the receiver to my xl2420g which is 144hz and set it to 4k, does the amount of #p matters? Would the receiver sort of bottleneck and makes it display as 60p instead of max 144hz even though my game FPS would be higher than 60FPS? Is there some kind of receiver #p categories like monitors have with 60hz/120hz/144hz? If there is, would the receiver's lower #p bottleneck the higher monitor's #hz? I know the FPS depends on the video card.

**i did not note before that you're using a 144hz monitor (which isnt supported via hdmi anyways). given that you're using higher than 60hz i would suggest you connect via hdmi, not use video passthrough and instead have it connected up like an auxilliary monitor would be. this is how many others with 120/144hz monitors fit a receiver into the system. i believe video passthrough is limited to 60hz on all receivers as currently all 120/240hz tv signals are all faked with just 60hz inputs.

3. If I were to set my game settings to 4k, would I need a receiver that has 4k content pass-through?

**with your 144hz monitor you would not want passthrough. your monitor is only capable of what resolutions it can display regardless of what any other equipment is capable of. always use native resolution.

4. Would the Yamaha RX-V777BT automatically upscales to 4k without me having to turn on the game settings to 4k?

**again, since you said you have 144hz you would not want to use the passthrough function. also for pc use you would want to disable upscaling (if you were using 60hz monitors or tvs) since upscaling is post processing so might introduce a bit of lag. its best for videos though.

5. Would I need an actual 4k monitor/tv for the receiver to upscale to 4k?

**for the upscaling to actually matter worth a hoot yes. again, my note on 144hz above.

6. If I were to get a 4k monitor/tv, I've read somewhere that the 4k tv will automatically upscale anything to 4k.

**it depends on the tv. some may have upscaling features ,some may not.

6a. If that's true, then the receiver's 4k upscale would be pointless?

**if the tv already can upscale then yes however it is possible that the upscaling could be better one one device than another as well.

6b. I also wouldn't have to set the game settings to 4k right?

**upscaling is absolutely no match for rendering at 4k to begin with. a 4k rendered game will be far clearer than upscaled. however an upscaled game would look far better than running at a lower resolution and stretching it over a high res tv likely at the expense of maybe a bit of lag for post processing. best to render at 4k to begin with for games (for video content any lag is irrelevant)

6c. Only one hardware would have to do the 4k upscaling or else there will be some technical problems?

**i wouldnt worry too much about it. you can always disable upscaling in settings and with auto detect you shouldnt have issues.

6d. How would I know if the contents I'm receiving is upscaled to 4k?

**you would notice the difference, if you're using a 4k display that is.

7. If some super rich guy were to purchase a 4k 120p or higher tv, the receiver will work the same, it's just that the receiver won't need to upscale anymore?

**the receiver would not need to upscale if the signal being fed to it was 4k yes. it would still be able to upscale any non 4k content such as dvd, blueray, etc. also, 120hz tvs fake the extra frames and that results in lag since they only accept 60hz input and fake extra frames in. this is completely unlike monitor 120hz which is a true 120hz source fed right to the panel. why tvs still are behind monitors is silly given the number of people using them as monitors nowdays.

8. Would I have to do anything special such as new cables/hardwares or playing with the receiver's settings or the receiver will upscale automatically to the xl2420g?

**read earlier notes on 144hz and how upscaling on a non 4k tv would be.

9. Is the classic energy 5.1 upgradable to 7.1 and beyond in the future? If so, how would I do that? Are all computer speaker upgradable to 7.1 and beyond?

**if you have a receiver capable of beyond 5.1, 7.1 etc then your receiver would support it. it depends on what your receiver supports as its maximum number of channels. if you can find extra energy speakers for sale then sure you could add them into the system and change your receiver settings. on many receivers (provided you have the connections and its supported) you can even run dual subs. as for pc speakers, typically its not so easy since the speakers are all amped through your subwoofer and its limited to the exact number of speakers it comes with. now you can add extra speakers (either by adding another set of speakers) or if you managed to pick up some of the exact same speakers but without the sub you could always amp them with a small amp and connect. you're limited by however many channels your soundcard supports. upgrading pc speakers to higher than 5.1 is always harder and not as nice to deal with (and not quite as nice sounding) as home theater.

10. Is there a 7.1 surround sound computer speaker you'd recommend?

**there are many 5.1 systems but i'm not aware of any 7.1 ones off the top of my head. also keep in mind that there is tons of content (video) for 5.1 though when you start branching out to 7.1 and 9.1 you start getting less and less (video) content for it. for gaming if its encoded in 7.1 then sure you should have no issues with gaming at higher number of channels. its not really worthwhile though (In my opinion, 5.1 is fine but others say 7.1 and 9.1 are well worthwhile.... depends on your opinion). if you do not have input for 9.1 they make fake modes to expand your surround to those channels which i've heard isnt bad though post processing might introduce a bit of delay.

11. Do receivers have input lags? or does gaming in 5.1/7.1 or beyond, etc have input lag?

**generally no as long as you're not post processing content. number of speakers shouldnt matter as well provided you have support. i will say that hdmi 1.4 is limited to 8 channels only (7.1) and to get more channels on hdmi you need to have hdmi 2.0 support (such as on new gtx970/980 though not sure if they actually are supporting greater channels despite having hdmi2)

12. Are you able to plug both consoles and PC to the same receiver and switch between them back and forth and play from the same monitor/tv?

**this is what i do. it works for all televisions and 60hz monitors at least. one of the biggest draws to receivers is the ability to swap inputs very quickly from one to the other. since you're running 144hz monitor, you could likely still route any 60hz hdmi (not displayport/dual-link dvi) through it for your non pc sources if that is what you do now currently.

13. Lastly, I'd like to hear your personal opinion about this receiver, Yamaha RX-V777BT, going with the classic energy 5.1/ the 7.1 computer speaker you'd recommend if you have any/another 7.1 speakers + another receiver haha.

**i'll have to get back to you on this (remind me below) as i have to walk out the door right now. i'll have to look at it later.

Solution

ninjamatt

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
Hey, I recently just dug up an old 5.1 receiver I think. I plugged my computer into the receiver via HDMI but I haven't plug anything into the HDMI out. I was wondering if you'd also be able to give me a step by step guide to have the receiver as an aux monitor? I'm a bit stuck on it. Thanks.

you should be able to just set either the receiver or your hdmi output (depending on how it shows up) as your default audio device under playback devices.

if you have no monitor or tv connected it would just appear in your multi monitor list as connected but not as actually displaying anything - odd, but thats how i've seen it show up.

i personally use passthrough on mine and always have since it is more convenient for my setup.

ninjamatt

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
Well, whenever I check the playback device it pops up a warning saying "windows has detected that audio enhancements for the following device are causing problems: Speakers (Sound Blaster Recon 3Di) Would you like to disable driver enhancement for this device?" When I click no and got into the playback device menu, it says Nvidia HDMI Output (Port 0) and so on Not plugged in.

I've tried

1. right clicking desktop --> Nvidia control panel --> Change resolution. Only one monitor shows up

2. Nvidia control panel --> set up multiple display. Only one monitor is detected.

3. Right clicking desktop --> screen resolution. One monitor is displayed. However when I click detect, it says Another display not detected but, on the display drop down list it says "Available display output on: (GPU)" But I can't get it to work somehow. Any ideas?

Edit: I'm on Windows 8.1 if that matters.

uninstall your sound and video drivers. reinstall the newest versions for both. it could be just software bugging out or being old.

this is windows 7, but basically it should look like http://tinypic.com/r/2cft9ms/8 if things are set up properly to work. right click the sound icon, playback devices is the only menu you should need to use. it normally shows up in nvidia control panel but you should not need to make changes there to get it to work.

given how you said you were connecting i'm assuming yes here but ... it does have an hdmi input? it is a full receiver and not something off of a HTIB unit?