Zenpad 10 constantly restarting, even after a factory reset.

Nyminix

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
So, my mum woke up this morning to her tablet constantly restarting. What would happen is you would say unlock the screen, do stuff, then after 5ish seconds, it shows the "Asus: The search of incredible" splash screen, before it'll jump back to the lock screen.

I went into recovery mode and did a factory reset, but when on the set up screen (setting up keyboard, wifi, etc.), it would still behave exactly like this.

Mum says it was working fine last night, and when she tried to use it this morning, that's when the issues happened.

Well a "Factory Reset" doesn't always remove all problems. As it is meant to leave your personal things on the device (and any installs). However, if anything was downloaded onto the tablet that can harm it (virus, malware, bad app, etc.) then it could still be on it.

Try starting it up in "Safe Mode" and see if it will stay turned on. You can't do most things in that mode, but you can test the restarting. If it doesn't restart anymore, then there is something on the device that needs removing. Should that be the case, then you have two options. Try and find and remove whatever it is yourself, or save your person items (photos, videos, music, contacts, etc.) to a computer or cloud account and then do a "Hard Reset" which will wipe all things off the device and start it over from scratch.

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the tablet.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the message "Safe mode: ON" or something similar.

4. If you wanted disable it, simply repeat the steps above, and you should see "Safe Mode: OFF" rather than on.

NOTE: Doing this will clear 'all' the data on your tablet, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the device.

Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.

To "Hard Reset" the tablet...

1. Make sure that the tablet is actually powered off.

2. Remove your SD card, if there is one in the device.

3. Press the "Power" and the "Volume Up" buttons, together, until you see the start-up logo on the screen.

4. Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the "System Recovery Mode".

5. Next use "Volume Down" button to get to the "wipe data/factory reset" option When in recovery mode the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" buttons are how to can navigate and highlight what option you need.

6. Once you have selected the "wipe data/factory reset", press the "Power" button to select that option.

7. On the following screen, repeatedly press the "Volume Down" button until the "Yes - delete all user data" option is what is selected.

8. Then press the "Power" button to hard reset the tablet.

9. If you took your SD card out in step 2, when the device is up and running again, reinsert the SD card.

Nyminix

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Just booted into safe mode, still restarting. I'm guessing it's a hardware issue then? If so, Asus with their amazing "timing", just a week or two out of Warranty...

Nyminix

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Yup, I tried going into system recovery mode, which gives me 3 options, Factory reset, Fastboot and Normal. I don't have any options to choose from when going into Factory Reset, so I assume that wipes all the data. Issues still persist.

robbymarshall

Prominent
Dec 13, 2017

I am experiencing the same problem on the same tablet. It seems - for now - that the WIFI is contributing to the problem. It reboots everytime the WIFI signal activates. And I tried unplugging my wifi and then forgetting the network, and the tablet stayed put. However I could not progress because it asked to sign in with my google account before doing anything else!

Need to see what happens when I sign on with another Wifi signal. Have you made any progress since you posted this?

plwsm

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
This happened to me too. I just received a brand new Zenpad 10 (P028) and during the initial setup, a few seconds after I entered the wifi key for my router, the tablet rebooted. It kept rebooting if the wifi was in range. Note: It did not reboot just by switching on the wifi - it also needs to be connected to keep rebooting.
I did a factory reset (as per webworkings reply), but this time I used my phone as a hotspot and for some reason it connected to this without rebooting. It then asked to do a system update (~248MB) which I did. After the update (WW_V3.3.7_20171108), I can now connect to my normal router without it continuoulsy resetting.

ianjclifton

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
Any update on this? My daughter's ZenPad10 is doing exactly the same. Reboots after about 5-6 if on home router (tplink ac1600). Absolutely fine when using my phone as hotspot. All other devices in home have no issue with router.

ianjclifton

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
Have now done following (had to use mobile hotspot to download updates)
1. Factory reset
2. Update to September 2017 security update
3. Update to 1 December 2017 security update (WW_V5.3 19_20171219

Seems to be working fine now.

Aug 24, 2018
My ZenPad would run for a few minutes, then reboot. A factory reset solved the problem for about two weeks, and then the trouble came back. I eventually noticed in the notification slot that an update was happening, so I watched it in Play Store → My Apps and Games. The Microsoft Excel Android application was trying to update itself. Repeatedly, Play Store spent several minutes downloading the huge update file, then it said “Updating”, and poof, the reboot happened. The factory reset worked because I then reinstalled the latest version of the application, but of course that worked only until the next update of that application. The solution is either don’t install whatever application is causing the trouble, or watch for an update and uninstall and reinstall that application every time.

Oct 11, 2018