ZoneAlarm alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetkevorkian

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hi folks,
Are there any other freeware firewalls comparable to ZoneAlarm? I've been a long term ZA user but it doesn't seem to like my new build very much (keeps on stalling at "Protection up, initializing UI"). I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium 64, using the Windows firewall at the moment which seems OK but I like having finer grained control of programs asking for internet rights etc.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers. :)

CompTIA_Rep

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I haven't used Comodo in a while, but it was quite good with similar features to Zonealarm.

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

G

This topic has been moved from the section Networking to section Applications by Grumpy9117

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

Spot on. This is what I changed to after ZoneAlarm stopped playing nice. Worked out well so far!

velvetkevorkian

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Cool. Installed Comodo and it seems good so far- no conflicts yet. Nice to have a native 64 bit version too. Lots of detail about processes listening for traffic too which is interesting.
Cheers!

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
comodo and online armor are 2 of the best firewalls out atm.
but both take time to configure properly and a little bit of learning is required for both you and your pc.

win7 firewall isnt that bad to be honest. i use it as it just works it blocks all inbound threats as far as i know but is a little weak on outbound. but if you keep a close eye on your apps you shouldnt have any problems.

wonkawilly

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
ZoneAlarm Free version 9.2.106.000
conflict with Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1593.0
on WinXP Sp3 resulting in ZA freezing at:-
Protection is up, UI is initializing
solution:- disabled Windows Defender autostart (tools/options) and now start it manually after ZA running.

Status
Not open for further replies.