Zune HD Prices Leaked; $290 for 32 GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spaz480

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
wanted one when I saw the images released, still wanting one. I will be buying one when they comeout september 4th. Couldnt be a greater time for me either. gives me something to do while im supposed to be listening to my morning lectures :)

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
My first thought is "Oh yay! That's a great price! I can't wait!"

And then I remember that the 120GB Zune from the last gen is only $250.

Price-point FAIL.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Ramar[/nom]My first thought is "Oh yay! That's a great price! I can't wait!"And then I remember that the 120GB Zune from the last gen is only $250.Price-point FAIL.[/citation]
You don't get it. Why are you even on this site?

the Zune 120 is a HARD DRIVE BASED PLAYER. Not only that but it has a 3.1" regular screen, no internet, no HD radio. Not only that, but the screen runs at a resolution of 320x240.

The Zune HD is a FLASH BASED PLAYER that has a 3.3" screen, internet access, HD Radio, touch interface, and a screen that runs at 480x360.

Ignorant idiot.

Anyway, i'll probably be sticking to my Zune 120GB. It gets the job done. I'll probably upgrade when Microsoft releases its next media player (I'm hoping for something like 64GB, 3.5" screen, maybe even some functionality programs).

As for people complaining that 32GB is not enough, I don't understand. Do you really listen to (literally) 10000 songs every day, along with hundreds of movies? ROTATE your stuff. I'd be happy with a 30GB Player (and I was, until my Zen Vision M broke)

And for lossless freaks, who can't help but listen to 1000Kbps music. Really, use the high VBR WMA. The sound quality isn't any different, and it's only 1/3 of the size of a lossless FLAC, WMA, or AAC.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]kelfen[/nom]I'm seriosly tempted if I can round up the extra doh! playing movies in 720p would be great especially when I'm going on long road trips; seems like a great investment[/citation]
The 720p is for TV output only.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
And solid-state is a good trade-off, why? There are lots of people like me that are huge audiophiles and need more storage space than 32GB. The last gen had 4, 8, and 16GB models with solid-state, then larger models with a hard drive. Is there some good reason I'm not getting as to why this isn't true for the Zune HD? Or why if the largest point of the device is simply watching to and listening to media, why anyone would pay the price premium for this one over a model with much more storage? That Tegra and touch screen would be nice and all, but not worth forty extra dollars and a loss of 80GB.

Granted I'll still probably be buying one some time after launch, it's just a hard concept to swallow.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Also, your numbers for the LCD Resolution are off, .2 inches screen difference isn't anything to be too proud of, and maybe I just don't "get it", but the internet feature would probably be used twice by most people for posterity, and then forgotten. We should all have internet-capable cell phones these days.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Rotation takes time. I want everything on me. I have moved to carying all my music on SD cards. Now I can listen to whatever I want on any system I am on: Cell phone, PmP, Laptop, Desktop, etc...

Wish this had SDXC... Camera would have been nice. But we have a few generations to go before one of the big boys rolls out with a PmP with everything on it.

OLED/Hard-glass should be super sweet. I want it just for the HD radio.

bbjmb11

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I plan on getting a new player as soon as my 5gen ipod dies, I refuse to waste the space on my iphone for music, and I agree that iTunes is overrated. As soon as my ipod dies or the price drops (or a sale occurs), I will be buying this.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
no, at about $300 i'd rather buy a netbook for mobile entertainment and internet access. bigger screen, better input, bigger hdd, same price... yeah, and for just handy quick communication, i think most of us have cell phones. this product (and apples equivalents) is a useless cross between devices most of us probably already own.

just my opinion

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]steiner666[/nom]no, at about $300 i'd rather buy a netbook for mobile entertainment and internet access. bigger screen, better input, bigger hdd, same price... yeah, and for just handy quick communication, i think most of us have cell phones. this product (and apples equivalents) is a useless cross between devices most of us probably already own. just my opinion[/citation]
Yea, who the hell buys Ipod Touches? Those are SO unpopular. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who owns one...

Oh wait...

Last time I checked you can't fit a netbook in your pocket and jog with it.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Where are the games? There has to be some impending announcement of games in the pipeline for this thing. There is no way MS crammed the Tegra platform into this thing just to play music and surf the web. Lacking bluetooth isn't a deal breaker for me but if there are no games I'm sticking with the iPhone/iPod Touch.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I'm probably in for one. I hope that Microsoft can foster a succesfull App community like Apple has, especially considering Apple maintains such a strict control over the apps.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]doomsdaydave11[/nom]Last time I checked you can't fit a netbook in your pocket and jog with it.[/citation]

Maybe very fat people with large pockets on their large pants. But, then again, they don't jog much...

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Last I checked I dont need to carry a movie player with me. I dont need a MP3 player with me all the time or a radio with me all the time. I spend half my slavery (monetary) life trying to be able to save enough to actually enjoy life, not hide from it (media players)

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
i have one question for fanboys of ms and apple, what makes your media so great?

Non user replaceable battery (zune & ipod)
Both requires it's own software for media management.

Status
Not open for further replies.