1 Set top box, 2 tv's. Is this a long term solution?

dempseyjosh

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015
Hello. I hope there are some people with more knowledge than I have, that can tell me if this solution will work long term.

So I have two tv's. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. Only one gets watched at a time, and there were no issues before we got a cable box. We used to have basic cable, so each tv was just hooked up via the coax cable. Once we got the cable box in the living room, I wanted the same channels available in the bedroom, but did not want to pay 15+/month to make that happen.

So, I moved the cable box into the basement, got a 1x2 hdmi splitter, and an ir repeater system.(both of these were the cheap option, as there was no middle ground, just cheap or too expensive) There were plenty of bumps along the way getting all the parts together, but I finally got it, and after 1 day suddenly no picture. long story short, I replaced the short cable from the cable box to the splitter and all is well again.(i can give way more details if needed)

When I was looking into it, there is a lot more going on than i realized with these electronics communicating with each other and what not. Do you think I am going to continue having problems with this setup?

i know people who have been doing something similar for a long time and who have not had many problems so i would expect as long as you only use one at a time you should not have issues. its honestly a fairly simple setup actually.

i would have likely left the box in the one room, used an hdmi switch instead of a splitter and just ran an ir repeater to the one room but its your choice how you want to hook things up and how you did it technically works as well.

dempseyjosh

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015

I would have to manually switch with a splitter, wouldn't I? That would annoy me. But why a switch instead of a splitter? they are similar prices. I figured I would take the extra space on the entertainment center since that was an option, but it is a pain when there are issues like there was today when I had to go up and down the basement stairs a bunch.