10 Reasons I Spent $3,000 on a MacBook Pro

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sopooor

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
Keyboard
Apple keyboard looks good. They are some of the best looking keyboards. Desktop or laptop. But looking at the reviews online, it becomes obvious that it isn't as comfortable to most people. Apple makes a similar keyboard for the desktop. Looking at the reviews, they aren't good. But it really does look good. One of the best looking desktop keyboard with usb hubs, but read the reviews and look at the price.

Durability
Plastic is plastic. Macs have been known to have cracks in their body often around the place where you place your hand when you use the keyboard/touch pad. They have also been known to decolorize to a nasty yellow around the same areas.

Their motherboards are nothing but typical OEM designed to be as cheap as possible. They are no more durable than Dell, and i would wager that PC manufacturers are the only manufacturing the Macs. There's only two or so major players in Taiwan. For me to argue it i have to know so much more, whereas you can play dumb and say "prove it," but i dont go around remembering these facts just in case i run into a Mac user one day so i can argue with them. But facts are facts. Apple's stuff isn't any better than anyone else because its still Intel/nVidia/AsusTek stuff. Your not going to pop open an apple mobo and find it cut three layers deep for performance. No, they are maximizing profits.

Weight
I've never seen anyone buy a 17incher that cared about weight since its like a rock anyways. So fine lets talk about whether you can get the same specs on a smaller machine. Yes.

Magsafe
Deny it all you want. Justify it all you want. Use it for a while and listen with others say its crap. It was announced in early 2006
and has been out since July 2006 or so.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?pn=MA538LL/B&revw=MA538LL/B

948 reviews at a 2 star average! I guarantee you, for PCs, any component with that low of a rating on Newegg wouldn't get bought. But being Apple, who make such pretty products, people can't help it but keep getting burned, again and again.

Screen
Many brands have had LED screens more a long time now. The only reason that you sometimes won't fine one on PCs is to keep the costs down. The price you paid for your Mac, you have to admit, is ridiculous. Perhaps your rich. But make no mistake that plenty of PCs have LEDs. People just have the habit of comparing expensive Macs to cheap PCs.

Security
*nix systems, are more inherently safe than windows XP. But you don't see people comparing a 2009 car to a 2002 car do you? Vista is quite secure.

“As Nate dutifully noted Vista was hacked, but the rules had to be tweaked and hackers used an Adobe flaw to take the Vista laptop.” – quote from ZDnet march 31 2008 on own2pwn conference.

Once the results come in from 2009, we shall see. But ITS OBVIOUS THAT VISTA WON THE CONTEST. WON. Period. They had to tweak the rules so that vista could be hacked, but it was a flaw due to adobe and not Microsoft.

But your logic on security can work either way. Websites are hardly limited to exploiting just one type of security flaw. I'm sure you can make a webpage that exploits all systems at once, regardless of what the user is browsing under. So to think of it as a % is flawed.

Battery
Li-Poly batteries are more fragile. Known fact. The only reason apple makes the battery internal is so they can charge you a butt load to get it replaced. Unless its those new HP Boston Power batteries. Those do actually last 3x longer but i doubt that's what apple is using since it seems exclusive to HP.

Customer Support
Apple support is no better than anyone else. 2 free keys? Maybe if they made their laptops higher quality in the first place. But if thats the only problem you've had, you cannot judge. You'd have talk to a lot of people to get a real overall picture.

Running Windows OS
Paying extra money to buy software to run Windows on a machine that's already expensive doesn't make sense! I paid more, so ill pay more again? Dual booting works both days. You can just as well buy a PC and dual boot with OSX (although the legality of that is questionable). But to buy a Mac and then buy a legit windows again, thats again adding to the already large price.

Anyone whose been in a psychology class knows that emotions trump all reason. All emotions block reason. And the theory is that all emotion give the same reason. Heightened blood pressure, faster heart rate, etc. Whether it is love or hate. The only reason I like Macs is because they build good looking stuff. Thats also the reason why a lot of people "love" macs. You cannot reason with them. Its also the short/long argument. Most people don't have the patient or care to read up about technical stuff. So its a lot easier to say that Macs are more secure and that you don't get viruses when its blatantly obvious that Vista trumps Macs in security. Again, you cannot reason with a person who is in love! Its emotions!

FYI though, I've used Macs since high school days since Adobe CS until now, Adobe CS4. (indesign and photoshop). Back in those days, using Macs didn't make any sense due to them not implementing a damn 2 button mouse, and after they did, it even took adobe and other companies time to use it. Whereas in Windows since Photoshop pre CS series, you had double click.

But fine, lets talk now. What do you get on a Mac thats not on a PC? And what job are you talking about? Lets talk what i used it for. I wrote for both my high school newspaper and a little for UTD. All i can say is that the first day I saw a 2000 mac pro intel c2d based at school, it crashed in front of the group while we were watching a youtube video. This idea that Macs crash less is BS. Unproven, and only used as an argument due to the "love."

Using office, it also crashed more. Using Adobe CS-CS4, photoshop/indesign it also crashed more. Unlike xp/vista, you can just reboot and the system works again. On a Mac, you have to have a stupid external to use time machine and when it crashed, you could not boot up again. It would just be stuck on the loading screen. Fine, ignore me all you want, because i know you "love" macs, mostly due to looks. My experiences with macs are just that. Its almost unbelievable that people won't believe me. I emphasize again that i could not boot up the computer after it crashing in photoshop/indesign. Yet Mac users hear it and ignore it and then throw at me "windows has BSOD". Yeah? But can you reboot and continue working on the computer again? You know, so you can work with the files you saved on your computer and meet the deadline because you don't have 2-3 days to wait for the technician to fix it and then to tell you that all files on the system are lost? Due to a 1 program crash? BSOD anyday please! But chances are, most Mac lovers just read through it and just ignore all the bad about Apple.

The only reason I see anyone using a Mac is to look different. Basic image editing in photoshop or writing in word can be done on both OS.

Microsoft needs to stop BSing around and start using their clout to make manufactures make better looking PCs. Dell Adamo and Voodoo Envy or Lenovo U110/U130 just doesn't cut it across all market segments. But unlike mac users, i'd at least admit the only reason i'd buy a mac is because it looks good. All i do is web browsing and MS Word.

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Wow that is a big rant of anti-Apple rhetoric. Here are some facts.

OS X is not a target, you might go years without seeing any attack, it is therefore safer.

This is about a aluminum shell mac, no plastic to crack so can't happen here.

All OS's can have problems, sorry you have had trouble with OS X and it is quite possible that your stories are all true, does not change the fact that most industry reviews rate OS X high for usability and reliability.

The rest of your comments are just not worth replying to. You clearly just wanted to rant and that is cool but please try to just focus a little on what I have said, I got it because it does what I want. I had sticker shock just like everyone else but it was worth it to me but you should buy what works for you.

[citation][nom]sopooor[/nom]KeyboardApple keyboard looks good. They are some of the best looking keyboards. Desktop or laptop. But looking at the reviews online, it becomes obvious that it isn't as comfortable to most people. Apple makes a similar keyboard for the desktop. Looking at the reviews, they aren't good. But it really does look good. One of the best looking desktop keyboard with usb hubs, but read the reviews and look at the price. DurabilityPlastic is plastic. Macs have been known to have cracks in their body often around the place where you place your hand when you use the keyboard/touch pad. They have also been known to decolorize to a nasty yellow around the same areas. Their motherboards are nothing but typical OEM designed to be as cheap as possible. They are no more durable than Dell, and i would wager that PC manufacturers are the only manufacturing the Macs. There's only two or so major players in Taiwan. For me to argue it i have to know so much more, whereas you can play dumb and say "prove it," but i dont go around remembering these facts just in case i run into a Mac user one day so i can argue with them. But facts are facts. Apple's stuff isn't any better than anyone else because its still Intel/nVidia/AsusTek stuff. Your not going to pop open an apple mobo and find it cut three layers deep for performance. No, they are maximizing profits.WeightI've never seen anyone buy a 17incher that cared about weight since its like a rock anyways. So fine lets talk about whether you can get the same specs on a smaller machine. Yes.MagsafeDeny it all you want. Justify it all you want. Use it for a while and listen with others say its crap. It was announced in early 2006and has been out since July 2006 or so.http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-AP [...] =MA538LL/B948 reviews at a 2 star average! I guarantee you, for PCs, any component with that low of a rating on Newegg wouldn't get bought. But being Apple, who make such pretty products, people can't help it but keep getting burned, again and again. ScreenMany brands have had LED screens more a long time now. The only reason that you sometimes won't fine one on PCs is to keep the costs down. The price you paid for your Mac, you have to admit, is ridiculous. Perhaps your rich. But make no mistake that plenty of PCs have LEDs. People just have the habit of comparing expensive Macs to cheap PCs. Security*nix systems, are more inherently safe than windows XP. But you don't see people comparing a 2009 car to a 2002 car do you? Vista is quite secure. “As Nate dutifully noted Vista was hacked, but the rules had to be tweaked and hackers used an Adobe flaw to take the Vista laptop.” – quote from ZDnet march 31 2008 on own2pwn conference. Once the results come in from 2009, we shall see. But ITS OBVIOUS THAT VISTA WON THE CONTEST. WON. Period. They had to tweak the rules so that vista could be hacked, but it was a flaw due to adobe and not Microsoft. But your logic on security can work either way. Websites are hardly limited to exploiting just one type of security flaw. I'm sure you can make a webpage that exploits all systems at once, regardless of what the user is browsing under. So to think of it as a % is flawed. BatteryLi-Poly batteries are more fragile. Known fact. The only reason apple makes the battery internal is so they can charge you a butt load to get it replaced. Unless its those new HP Boston Power batteries. Those do actually last 3x longer but i doubt that's what apple is using since it seems exclusive to HP. Customer SupportApple support is no better than anyone else. 2 free keys? Maybe if they made their laptops higher quality in the first place. But if thats the only problem you've had, you cannot judge. You'd have talk to a lot of people to get a real overall picture. Running Windows OSPaying extra money to buy software to run Windows on a machine that's already expensive doesn't make sense! I paid more, so ill pay more again? Dual booting works both days. You can just as well buy a PC and dual boot with OSX (although the legality of that is questionable). But to buy a Mac and then buy a legit windows again, thats again adding to the already large price. Anyone whose been in a psychology class knows that emotions trump all reason. All emotions block reason. And the theory is that all emotion give the same reason. Heightened blood pressure, faster heart rate, etc. Whether it is love or hate. The only reason I like Macs is because they build good looking stuff. Thats also the reason why a lot of people "love" macs. You cannot reason with them. Its also the short/long argument. Most people don't have the patient or care to read up about technical stuff. So its a lot easier to say that Macs are more secure and that you don't get viruses when its blatantly obvious that Vista trumps Macs in security. Again, you cannot reason with a person who is in love! Its emotions! FYI though, I've used Macs since high school days since Adobe CS until now, Adobe CS4. (indesign and photoshop). Back in those days, using Macs didn't make any sense due to them not implementing a damn 2 button mouse, and after they did, it even took adobe and other companies time to use it. Whereas in Windows since Photoshop pre CS series, you had double click. But fine, lets talk now. What do you get on a Mac thats not on a PC? And what job are you talking about? Lets talk what i used it for. I wrote for both my high school newspaper and a little for UTD. All i can say is that the first day I saw a 2000 mac pro intel c2d based at school, it crashed in front of the group while we were watching a youtube video. This idea that Macs crash less is BS. Unproven, and only used as an argument due to the "love." Using office, it also crashed more. Using Adobe CS-CS4, photoshop/indesign it also crashed more. Unlike xp/vista, you can just reboot and the system works again. On a Mac, you have to have a stupid external to use time machine and when it crashed, you could not boot up again. It would just be stuck on the loading screen. Fine, ignore me all you want, because i know you "love" macs, mostly due to looks. My experiences with macs are just that. Its almost unbelievable that people won't believe me. I emphasize again that i could not boot up the computer after it crashing in photoshop/indesign. Yet Mac users hear it and ignore it and then throw at me "windows has BSOD". Yeah? But can you reboot and continue working on the computer again? You know, so you can work with the files you saved on your computer and meet the deadline because you don't have 2-3 days to wait for the technician to fix it and then to tell you that all files on the system are lost? Due to a 1 program crash? BSOD anyday please! But chances are, most Mac lovers just read through it and just ignore all the bad about Apple.The only reason I see anyone using a Mac is to look different. Basic image editing in photoshop or writing in word can be done on both OS. Microsoft needs to stop BSing around and start using their clout to make manufactures make better looking PCs. Dell Adamo and Voodoo Envy or Lenovo U110/U130 just doesn't cut it across all market segments. But unlike mac users, i'd at least admit the only reason i'd buy a mac is because it looks good. All i do is web browsing and MS Word.[/citation]

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I own the aluminium Macbook and it's amazing. However, I do NOT run Windows on it (except in virtual machine). I also don't believe in forking over USD$2800 on a machine since you'll have to replace that 4 years down the road while I can get a 15" MBP that can do almost the equivalent thing for a lot less. I agree that Apple has great products but there's an extent when Apple just overcharges. A $2800 laptop is just too much for me. No matter how many features that tries to justify that cost. Maybe it's because I'm a college student that has to pay for my laptop.

You purchase is quite justified so I guess it's truly $2800 well spent for you. I spent only 50-55% of your cost on the perfect UNIX machine which is my Macbook.

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
A Sony FW is substantially identical to that $2800 computer. And as far as construction, magnesium alloy is arguably superior.

You could get an identically or better speced FW for no more than $1300. So you just paid $1500 for .6 inchs and bigger balls.

Grats.

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
A Sony FW is substantially identical to that $2800 computer. And as far as construction, magnesium alloy is arguably superior.

You could get an identically or better speced FW for no more than $1300. So you just paid $1500 for .6 inchs and bigger balls.

Grats.

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Nice, while I was not able to identically or better spec the FW at $1300 anywhere, I was able to get it between 15-1600. That is still a huge savings. It might be worth the slightly smaller 16:9 formatted screen and a weight of over 7 lbs. I also have found Sony PC's support to be lacking. For such a big and normally good company their support system seems to lack for me. If you are interested in this size class you can look also at the HP HDX 16.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117857

$1299 for the exact same specs plus a Blu-ray drive, so basically $1100 without it. It even has the same keyboard since its a design Apple got from Sony in the first place (minus the LEDs). Also, the HDD is 7200RPM instead of the Mac's 5400 (unless you upgraded that too).

The HD3650 is the exact same perfomance line as the 9600's, and the screen is 1920x1080. Compared to the 1920x1200 its still WUXGA and not worth mentioning really.

Oh, and guess what! It's only 6.4LBs. Got your beloved MacBook beat there...

Here's the best part. The FW's fully support OSX. I had one for about a month (hated it though), and I was able to get OSX up and running on it with no issues other than a driver for the 5300a/g/n wireless card.

So there you have it...You spend $1900 extra for nothing more than an LED screen and some LEDs on your keyboard. Oh, and extra weight.

jcombalicer

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2004
The only problem that i faced with apple, is when you broke your macbook and you have your music stored in your ipod, you cant copy it back to your newly restored mac.

You need to purchase a special software.

With regards to windows based music player is just drag and drop no more messy itunes library.

eximious

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Hey Bill,

I use Final Cut Studio / Compressor quite a bit on Mac Pros. However, I was born and bred on Windows and am still more comfortable around a M$ OS. Still, FCS is great and I hope the upcoming Snow Leopard announcement really takes advantage of OpenCL and maybe even sneaks in some news about FCS 3.

You got quite a bit of unnecessary flak for this article, responses that in many ways attacked you ad hominem. That's not cool. However, this was an opinion piece that found its way to a very value / performance-oriented audience. Without benchmarks or clear metrics, the editorial simply seemed like a paid product advertisement. I know this wasn't your actual intent, but to someone of my sensibilities, this article simply flaunts. The economy is tough right now for many people and spending a few grand on a laptop with backlit keys and a slightly lighter chassis seems a little opulent to me. But, maybe it's exactly what you needed?

I hope my feedback has explained some of the apparent backlash here in a semi-reasonable way. I'm pleased that Tom's Guides isn't afraid to do stories that will irk some readers, but hopefully understanding that angst can improve everyone's experience of the site.

And you have to admit that it'd be nice for Apple not to lock down OS X to proprietary systems.

Powersworder

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Hey Bill,
You might dismiss all that sopoor wrote as an anti-apple rant, but he seemed to be speaking from experience with a lot of that stuff, it wasnt just a fanboi tirade.

In particular the stuff about the Magsafe was interesting. The link was to the apple store and hes right, its getting panned on there. ill post it again in case you missed it:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-AP [...] =MA538LL/B

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Well the Magsafe works for me, never had problems with them other than some cables that apple replaced free of charge. Most of the complaints stem from the issue where the cable separates at the plug, I have seen this issue but I just went to the Apple store and they replaced it with a reinforced cable free of charge. Guess you just need to go to the store to get it fixed.

[citation][nom]Powersworder[/nom]Hey Bill,You might dismiss all that sopoor wrote as an anti-apple rant, but he seemed to be speaking from experience with a lot of that stuff, it wasnt just a fanboi tirade.In particular the stuff about the Magsafe was interesting. The link was to the apple store and hes right, its getting panned on there. ill post it again in case you missed it:http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-AP [...] =MA538LL/B[/citation]

G

"other that some cables"
ha... I've never used the magsafe stuff (it seems completely pointless to me, as I watch where I step), the best part is that I've NEVER had any issues whatsoever with any traditional "PC" cables. So yeah, what's the benefit of the magsafe? another way of getting more problems on something that should never malfunction in first place

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
The point is if you pull on the power cord you won't break the end ever. So you never had or seen problems with the plug on a laptop, I have seen lots of them so I like the Magsafe, if you like the other then buy what works for you

[citation][nom]Anonymous75fgs[/nom]"other that some cables"ha... I've never used the magsafe stuff (it seems completely pointless to me, as I watch where I step), the best part is that I've NEVER had any issues whatsoever with any traditional "PC" cables. So yeah, what's the benefit of the magsafe? another way of getting more problems on something that should never malfunction in first place[/citation]

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
This has been fun reading post... I am not a huge fan of apple but they do make nice laptops... I have used both pro books and standard laptops.. It IS SOOOO PLAYED OUT THE BATTLE BETWEEN PC AND MAC... Some people are hardcore mac fans let them be.. Some people are hardcore pc fans let them be... Or maybe we need a mosh pit of nerds fighting over whos better.....
Thanks for the laughs.. Peace

Gordobobo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
You provided 10 reasons why u paid almost 3k for a MAC, fair enough and I think u got what u wanted in the first place so good investment for u. You are a exception of the rule, a rare case...unique. Not to many can spend money and be happy like u can, for the average human being, spending 3k on a laptop with those specs put u down to insect lvl of dumbness.

I can provide you 100 reasons why NOT pay 3k for a MAC.

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Yeah I understand the shock of spending that much on a laptop. It was not exactly what I expected to pay. But it did everything I needed very well

As for OS X, I have hoped that Apple would open it up to other platforms, they should, it is a nice UNIX based OS that could do a lot. They just don't want the hassles of making it work on all types of hardware, which is where Microsoft works well. It would be nice to have the best of both world and not have to use a hack method.

The article was fun as was responding to many of the posters. It is all in fun and a good discussion but some just get to serious, maybe me too. : )

[citation][nom]eximious[/nom]Hey Bill,I use Final Cut Studio / Compressor quite a bit on Mac Pros. However, I was born and bred on Windows and am still more comfortable around a M$ OS. Still, FCS is great and I hope the upcoming Snow Leopard announcement really takes advantage of OpenCL and maybe even sneaks in some news about FCS 3.You got quite a bit of unnecessary flak for this article, responses that in many ways attacked you ad hominem. That's not cool. However, this was an opinion piece that found its way to a very value / performance-oriented audience. Without benchmarks or clear metrics, the editorial simply seemed like a paid product advertisement. I know this wasn't your actual intent, but to someone of my sensibilities, this article simply flaunts. The economy is tough right now for many people and spending a few grand on a laptop with backlit keys and a slightly lighter chassis seems a little opulent to me. But, maybe it's exactly what you needed?I hope my feedback has explained some of the apparent backlash here in a semi-reasonable way. I'm pleased that Tom's Guides isn't afraid to do stories that will irk some readers, but hopefully understanding that angst can improve everyone's experience of the site.And you have to admit that it'd be nice for Apple not to lock down OS X to proprietary systems.[/citation]

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
They say you can only change it at the store but the bottom opens by removing 10 screws that give you access to the battery area.

[citation][nom]maxnix[/nom]One question: Is the battery user changeable?If not, it is just a toy.[/citation]

BillLake

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
As I said at the end of the article there are plenty of reasons not to spend this and there are lots of good choices out there, maybe if HP had the backlit keyboard for the HDX 16 when I bought this PC, they would have gotten my business instead and I would have saved some money. The point was that check out all the laptops out there you might be surprised at the value you can find and as always buy what works for you.

[citation][nom]Gordobobo[/nom]You provided 10 reasons why u paid almost 3k for a MAC, fair enough and I think u got what u wanted in the first place so good investment for u. You are a exception of the rule, a rare case...unique. Not to many can spend money and be happy like u can, for the average human being, spending 3k on a laptop with those specs put u down to insect lvl of dumbness.I can provide you 100 reasons why NOT pay 3k for a MAC.[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS