10 Things You Need to Know About ChromeOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

chavo12345

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Despite the fact that Chrome in itself supports Netflix streaming, Chrome OS is blocked by Netflix. Netflix says it is working with Google to work on this issue, but, for now, you can stream Netflix movies.
It's blocked but you can still stream movies?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
They should put their Android Market on there, I mean all they need is some kind of specialized JRE.

Which reminds me, I bet this Chrome netbook doesn't support Oracle's JavaRE.

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I agree, Google's got a lot of work to do on Chrome OS if they want to go head-to-head with MS and Apple.

G

I think that Google should have reviewed microsoft when they decided to get into the OS business. Microsoft had an OS and a mobile platform that they have been working for years to try to merge into some sort of hybrid product. Google should have just went out of the gate to make make the chrome OS a part of android.

G

Are you kidding? I love the search button! I pretty much never use CAPS LOCK and hitting the search button is just so convenient!

G

Wow, these are some great points. I'm a huge Google fan and generally don't take criticism directed at them all too well. However, my bitterness of not getting a Cr-48 and the fact that it DOES have to be perfect to compete in an industry that people are already used to are too strong to ignore.

G

Comment 1. I must disagree with a call to blame Google for netflix service blocking it.
Comment 2. Keyboard can be mapped to anyone's liking. Search key can be remapped to whatever quicker than it took to write down the complaint.
Comment 3. Faster and more prevalent networks are coming. Investing into "cloudbook offline capabilities" while it is an oxymoron is also a complete waste of resources.

G

"Netflix says it is working with Google to work on this issue, but, for now, you can stream Netflix movies."

This is actually an issue with NetFlix streaming, which uses Silverlight (and microsoft's DRM suite... which is only supported for Mac OSX and Windows.) for playing movies over the web site.

brigga

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
While I find it interesting that everybody loves what Google does, if someone else did this, say MS, it would shitcanned so quickly it's not funny. There is no way I will be remotely comfortable storing my sensitive documents in the "cloud". They have way too much control over your stuff, and I find it disheartening that people just don't seem to care what this implies, look at what just happened to 150000 gmail accounts...

brigga1

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
While I find it interesting that everybody loves what Google does, if someone else did this, say MS, it would shitcanned so quickly it's not funny. There is no way I will be remotely comfortable storing my sensitive documents in the "cloud". They have way too much control over your stuff, and I find it disheartening that people just don't seem to care what this implies, look at what just happened to 150000 gmail accounts...

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
nice report but I have to respond to:
"I never understood the purpose of 15" or 17" notebooks".

obviously you only look at computers from your own perspective and only consider your own needs. trust there is so much more to computing than you have seen.

for example (just a small take on this from my angle), some of us are using laptops for much more than checking email etc. i need computing power AND large resolution (and real graphic card). I do most of programming and development on a desktop but 20% of work is on site and I cannot carry desktop. netbooks just can't do what I need for work (no display resolution, no memory, no ports and no processing power). while i agree that 15" (and specially 17") is too big to routinely carry around, but there is no alternative. this why i use 15.4" (has all ports, plenty of RAM, dual core CPU, and one can find one with full HD resolution).

i would prefer 14" laptop if I could find one that fitts those criterias and has vertical resolution of at least 1000 pixel.

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
There is no unique selling point to Chrome OS.

Ummm what about the Whole Premise of this being the First 'Consumer level Cloud Based OS that isn't restricted to a mobile platform' isn't unique. This thing is practically screaming unique, heck its a entirely new OS on the market, thats pretty bloody unique just by itself.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
dont chrome build on conectivity i thought parts of its os downloaded each time to the comp like you load a web page to load your operation system. well 100mb ewen tho free isent much but still free is always good ;b.

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
nice report but I have to respond to:
"I never understood the purpose of 15" or 17" notebooks".

obviously you only look at computers from your own perspective and only consider your own needs. trust there is so much more to computing than you and I have experienced.

for example (just a small take on this from my angle), some of us are using laptops for much more than checking email etc. i need computing power AND large resolution (and real graphic card). I do most of programming and development on a desktop but 20% of work is on site and I cannot carry desktop. netbooks just can't do what I need for work (no display resolution, no memory, no ports and no processing power). while i agree that 15" (and specially 17") is too big to routinely carry around, but there is no alternative. this why i use 15.4" (has all ports, plenty of RAM, dual core CPU, and one can find one with full HD resolution).

i would prefer 14" laptop if I could find one that fitts those criterias and has vertical resolution of at least 1000 pixel.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Much as I don't like cloud computing. I love the idea behind this little ah heck and I wish google the best on this endevor. All it need is a few sd slots along with offline mode and its set

G

No caps lock? NOW HOW DO I WRITE SOMETHING THAT NEEDS ATTENTION? PUSH THE SHIFT KEY THE ENTIRE TIME???

Status
Not open for further replies.