10 Things You Need to Know About ChromeOS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m0j0j0j0

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
The article says 10 things about chrome os, i could care less about this particular hardware to be honest, its going to run on a multitude of different devices with support for netbooks currently out there already.

Also how about a more descriptive article about the actual operating system, from my research yes the operating system is just a browser, if im not mistaken the os comes with gnome window manager among other features which i imagine would in turn allow running of applications that would run on linux.

Anyway sorry but i just thought the topic was misleading,

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Interesting.. thanks

My brother uses a reasonably powerful 17inch laptop. He just uses it as a mid powered desktop as well as a semi-portable device. i.e. not for going outside and typing something up, but carrying it between locations where he will be in the same location. So pretty much a mid powered desktop that is easier to carry between rooms I guess :)

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
i think Chrome OS cloudbooks will be a thing of the future very soon. I really like the ideea, wish i could get and test one here in Europe but they dont send here :( ...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
This whole concept (cloud computing) is well ahead of it's time (and of the infrastructure available). Consider this: besides paying for the hardware, you have to keep paying for connectivity on a monthly basis. And that is only to be able to do stuff that any computer does nowadays for free and without any connection required! my laptop is NOT a brick if I happen to be out of range from any connection, and for my limited e-mail needs at a time there is no high-bandwidth required. There are HUGE changes that need to happen within the broadband delivery/access system in order for this to work.
There will be some people that can afford the type of always-on connected life, but even for those, issues of compatibility across networks will make it almost impossible to have a universally-compatible device. Consider traveling, for instance; you really want to pay roaming for that heavy bandwidth usage? And even so, not being sure if you can use it because of network compatibility issues?

G

Hi Wolfgang. For me, I can tell how you're able to list a number of annoyances through your experiences with Cr-48---at the same time as your usage of it has evolved from web browsing to a research and text authoring workhorse.

I've found that I'm using cloud services 20 time more than I was before I started with the Cr-48: for writing, then shared writing documents, spreadsheets, collaborative spreadsheets, presentations (If I plug in a VGA projector the Cr-48 has 1080 x1920 available), and with a USB mouse plugged in, for drawings.

I expect that cloud concerns will go the way of, um, let's see... There was once a time that people were very skeptical and uncertain about using ATM/debit cards to get cash. That time has passed, and concerns were overwhelmed by the convenience that has taken their place.

For cloud storage, I'm enjoying major convenience bonuses as I am able to work on the same document at work, at school, at home, and sitting down at a coffee shop. I don't carry around copies of the document, establish a connection other than an Internet one that's usually there anyhow, and I can collaborate in real time if need be, without having the file locked by whoever got there first. Both Google and Microsoft (Live) have recognized this as a really good model for how people manage ideas, and work together. Beyond the specialized niches of software development or other intensive computing demands, nearly all people benefit from better information management---not least of which are programmers when it comes to the documentation, client relations, or office management aspects of their work.

From my personal view, using Chrome OS has opened up my appreciation of how ideas and collaboration can be better served by computing than the desktop+file+file server+workstation model. It won't go away any more than human tellers at the bank---but there's plenty of information transactions where the cloud is a better solution. And for those aspects, Chrome OS and similar cloud-only devices with full-sized keyboards, a minimal screen, and maximal connectivity and battery life will have a place. Streaming audio (VoIP) and Streaming Video (Netflix et al.) seem to me like they will be reached first by the smartphone+4G+Apps model.

As I take the Cr-48 around, it's been a very rare thing to not have connectivity enough for document and collaboration work. I've taken it as far out into the hinterlands as GPRS, where I was looking forward to EDGE, then stopped at a restaurant (WiFi) before hitting the road again and being happy to return to 3G civilization.
Oh, and when you run out the 100 MB allocation, then and only then does Chrome OS present you with an opportunity to buy a 1GB-in-30-days offer from Verizon for $20. Meanwhile, your 100 MB/month allocation will roll over if you don't use it while on the prepaid data plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.