10 Things You Need To Know About The iPad 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think you forgot a decimal in the thickness, unless the new Ipad is really over 3 inches thick.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I never understood the reason for the tablets in the first place, nevermind the absolute craze that ensued after the initial ipad.

Is it just me in thinking that a keyboard on a small netbook is just a better idea?

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
$499 is way over priced for a 16BG WiFi only 10" tablet. The Viewsonic GTablet offers the Dual Core Tegra 2, 16GB internal, USB 2.0, Mini USB 2.0, MicroSD, and HDMI out for $350.

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
According to the marketing adverts, we were lead to believe that iPad 1 was "Crazy powerful!" What bull---- that was. So why believe the hype for version 2 ?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I still don't understand this comment:

"However, it also indicates that Motorola's Zoom is way too expensive and priced out of the market." Why is it too expensive? It still has double the ram, USB slot (without the need for an expensive adapter) and flash and you don't need friggen itunes to upload/download AND it will play any video encoding so no need to convert everything. So for $70 more (which is only 10%) how is it "way too expensive"?

I don't know about others but a 16gb, non expandable, non tethering wifi only ipad interests me not at all...

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
In other words they haven't changed much.

Does it even have memory card slots? Usb slots?

Or aren't we supposed to be using those things anymore...

mianmian

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]$499 is way over priced for a 16BG WiFi only 10" tablet. The Viewsonic GTablet offers the Dual Core Tegra 2, 16GB internal, USB 2.0, Mini USB 2.0, MicroSD, and HDMI out for $350.[/citation]
I have to say in tablet area, the apple tax is not that obvious as other products.
The G slate has a so so TN panel that makes it not attractive. it does not have a sexy and slim metal body either (it is plastic). These difference alone would almost explain the price difference.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Not too excited about the faster processor although Apple drives the market in terms of development (Kinda like consoles set the benchmark for games) so better looking games will like follow from this. The bigger announcement will be their new iOS. Simple because the dual core opens up alot in terms of multitasking possibility.
Im glad the weight is down too, that was the biggest problem for the original ipad. I never felt comfortable with it between weight and size. Maybe with the reduced weight the size won't be as big a problem. (yes i do prefer the 7" tablets more)

Its a nice evolution but if I had the first ipad I wouldn't be rushing out to buy one, simply because Im wanting a tablet with full phone capabilities. Seems apple have brought a very nice device to the table tho, well done!

[citation][nom]waylander[/nom]I still don't understand this comment:"However, it also indicates that Motorola's Zoom is way too expensive and priced out of the market." Why is it too expensive? It still has double the ram, USB slot (without the need for an expensive adapter) and flash and you don't need friggen itunes to upload/download AND it will play any video encoding so no need to convert everything. So for $70 more (which is only 10%) how is it "way too expensive"?I don't know about others but a 16gb, non expandable, non tethering wifi only ipad interests me not at all...[/citation]

Its like mobile phones. Look at the prices of them £700+ easily for an unlocked device from the manufacturer. that allows companies to see you a contract and offer a nice "subsidy" to suck you in for 12months. For example, I have a sim for GiffGaff £10 give 200mins, Unlimited text and data without fair use policies for 1month. They use O2 towers so signal is great but they have the condition of no tablets, hence my desire for a tablet with phone features since they do allow that. If I where to get an ipad for £300 why would I lock myself into someone like O2 or Orange for £30 a month for 24months with only 1gb of data if they didn't offer a £300+ subsidy on the device

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
All good points. However, I'm pretty sure it will turn out that your statement "The still camera resolution is 5 megapixels" will turn out to be incorrect. I'm guessing it is the same part as is found in the current iPod Touch - i.e. it is a video camera and makes for lousy photos. If it wasn't then they would have called it a 5 megapixel camera and not just a camera capable of capturing 720p video.

While the tech specs of the CPU, GPU and memory are not something Apple talk about for iOS devices, it is a near certainty that the iPad 2 has 512MB of RAM - maybe even more (although probably not).

Say what you will about Apple, the competition is lagging big time in terms of Tablet OSs. It's similar in many ways to the release of the first Macintosh and it's GUI although it looks (hopefully) like Apple has learnt from its mistakes back in the 80s and 90s. Whether you like Apple or not, they have certainly pushed the boundaries of design (both hardware and software) in the electronics world for the past decade more than any other company.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]pelov[/nom]I never understood the reason for the tablets in the first place, nevermind the absolute craze that ensued after the initial ipad. Is it just me in thinking that a keyboard on a small netbook is just a better idea?[/citation]

It's just you.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]All good points. However, I'm pretty sure it will turn out that your statement "The still camera resolution is 5 megapixels" will turn out to be incorrect. I'm guessing it is the same part as is found in the current iPod Touch - i.e. it is a video camera and makes for lousy photos. If it wasn't then they would have called it a 5 megapixel camera and not just a camera capable of capturing 720p video.While the tech specs of the CPU, GPU and memory are not something Apple talk about for iOS devices, it is a near certainty that the iPad 2 has 512MB of RAM - maybe even more (although probably not).Say what you will about Apple, the competition is lagging big time in terms of Tablet OSs. It's similar in many ways to the release of the first Macintosh and it's GUI although it looks (hopefully) like Apple has learnt from its mistakes back in the 80s and 90s. Whether you like Apple or not, they have certainly pushed the boundaries of design (both hardware and software) in the electronics world for the past decade more than any other company.[/citation]

You're kidding, right? Intel has pushed the boundaries of hardware in ways Apple couldn't even imagine. Also, AMD (not their processors, of course).

Sony deserves some credit there too. In terms of software, I think everyone knows Microsoft blows, but has Apple really advanced things much in the past 10 years? What software package of theirs is really unique or ground breaking?

Also, Lisa had the first GUI for Apple, which they stole from Xerox, of course.

This is not to discredit Apple, they do create new markets, with a seeming genius at making products people really want, before anyone else had any idea. Smart phone existed before Apple, GUI existed before Apple, tablet computing devices existed before Apple, but they may as well not have, considering their impact before Apple took them to the next level.

But, I object to comparing Apple to Intel in hardware. What Apple does is trivial compared to the enormous amount of work in creating a new architecture like the Sandy Bridge (despite the idiots saying it's a Nehalem refinement, which it isn't). This doesn't even go into their chipsets, IGPs (which are finally excellent), platform advances (USB 3.0, PCI-E, Thunderbolt), or their motherboards. On top of this, their manufacturing technology is superb. Only IBM should be mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.