17-year-old Arrested for Attacking CoD Servers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FriendlyFire

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
This isn't a harmless little cheat we're speaking of, he actually made a denial of service attack on a server. No matter what was the point behind it, it's a serious offense which should definitely not go unpunished.

What annoys me is that the police reacts with such timely haste when Activision calls in, but if an independent host was the victim of attacks (I've known many whose work has been ruined by idiot teenagers with a few scripts), the police would just tell him/her to piss off.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hmm... rather than putting him in jail, since he destroyed someone's property, they should take his system, tie him to a chair, and force him to watch while they go at it with a sledgehammer! Just desserts! :D

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
God forbid the police go after murderers and thieves. The cops don't even need to put down their donuts while going after kids playing a video game.

frosty7

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I want Lou to go to hackers/scripters houses with a baseball bat and just hit them a couple of times in the knees. That is all that is needed for them to not want to do it again.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
you do realise that if you call the police you need to make things sound a lot worse than they are

when i got assalted i called police and got them done for intent of corsing gbh (greivous bodily harm)

they have to react tothat and there is no way to prove if it is real or not so they have to come amediatly

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Given the current state of (limited) technology implementation, harsh penalties are probably the only reasonable method of deterrence. However, I can't help but think that blaming a toddler because he knocked your house of cards down is an enlightened stance to take. The ability to create a DDoS-proof infrastructure exists, and considering the costs of not doing so, it is pure laziness/incompetence to prop-up the current infrastructure with outmoded technology that can easily be broken by someone more nefarious than a 17 year old.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I stopped gaming long ago. I got tired of everyone ruining it for everyone else. The whining about the "camping" and the "hacking" REALLY turned me off. Come on, it's a FACT that CHEATING happens in ALL games. Kids cheat in a game of 4-square on the playground but no one screams anywhere as loud as they do in an online multi-player game. No one wants to play with a crybaby. I sure as hell don't.

StealthReaper

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Complete and utter crap. The kid committed no crime as far as I am concerned. There is always going to be a vulnerability when it comes to online gaming. If it weren't for people finding these problems they would never be patched. Activision should be arrested for not patching the problem. As for those people complaining about "hackers" ruining their online experience. That's complete hog wash and you should be running servers to begin with if you don't have the knowledge and know how to patch the servers to prevent DoS or other attacks. I've run over 40 servers and I have had my fair share of having the server attacked. In the end the result was the same, I found a way to patch it and the attack no longer worked on the server. In the end I won and those attacking my servers lost. However to this day I still thank them for showing me there was a problem, because once the issue was patched my server was filled constantly and people enjoyed playing there.

Whether you want to believe it or not, we need people willing to look for and use vulnerabilities to improve the games and/or services. The fact that they are going to charge him with a crime is ridiculous and I don't agree with it. As someone vary wise once told me "When all the criminals in the world have been caught; governments will start creating obscene laws so they can punish the innocent"

rubix_1011

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
I agree with StealthReaper on this one.

Causing disruption to a server for gaming isn't something that should be punishable by law. If anything, the kid should be commended to showing them how absurdly bad their network security was. Hate to break it to all of you, but governments do this EXACT SAME THING to sites they don't want to see online...and they do it all the time. Being punished because he was smart enough to understand what he was doing and to do it well...if anything, the company responsible for the hosted servers should be sued for allowing a potential threat that could expose private data from users all over the world.

But...go ahead everyone...and agree with what the media tells you is 'wrong'...

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
He deserved it. You break the law, you face the consequences. No, what he did was not something trivial - he took advantage of a flaw, exploiting it for his own gains.

Don't defend his "work" by going on about UK being a police state and whatnot.

gh0st

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]So is this possibly going to be the first time for someone being jailed for cheating in a online game? Granted the charges aren't because he cheated but rather the method he used to do such. But it was the motive behind it.[/citation]
they look for a motive to prove the crime...they are looking at people hacking other's computers.Servers @ home or what not. I think anyone doing harm to any other PC's other than their own get caught defenitly get punished.If you damage or hamr software or hardware on someones eles property other than you're own you should pay the cost if caught.Don't worry if caught in the U.S you will get away with it if you caused a big corporation to make money.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
It would be nice if the Spammers ( a real crime) on Tom's Hardware were arrested.
However if they were shot by a Chinese firing squad I would have no problem with that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.