17-year-old Arrested for Attacking CoD Servers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]cpatel1987[/nom]Hacking and disrupting game servers like that should fall under one charge: Destruction of property. A business like those behind Call of Duty Black Ops are the owners of this property. Just because its a game, and just because its a big corporation, doesn't mean it hasn't harmed the business. In my eyes, really no different just because its not something tangible. Such people really need to learn some respect.[/citation]
I agree. It's kinda like physically blocking someone from walking into a store or venue.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]StealthReaper[/nom]Complete and utter crap. The kid committed no crime as far as I am concerned. There is always going to be a vulnerability when it comes to online gaming. If it weren't for people finding these problems they would never be patched. Activision should be arrested for not patching the problem. As for those people complaining about "hackers" ruining their online
experience. That's complete hog wash and you should be running servers to begin with if you don't have the knowledge and know how to patch the servers to prevent DoS or other attacks. I've run over 40 servers and I have had my fair share of having the server attacked. In the end the result was the same, I found a way to patch it and the attack no longer worked on the server. In the end I won and those attacking my servers lost. However to this day I still thank them for showing me there was a problem, because once the issue was patched my server was filled constantly and people enjoyed playing there.Whether you want to believe it or not, we need people willing to look for and use vulnerabilities to improve the games and/or services. The fact that they are going to charge him with a crime is ridiculous and I don't agree with it. As someone vary wise once told me "When all the criminals in the world have been caught; governments will start creating obscene laws so they can punish the innocent"[/citation]
Wow, with a name like "StealthReaper" I expected something else. /sarcasm
Seriously?!? You are blaming the victim?!? Like a rapist says that she asked for it, right? There is a way of behaving online, and that's not it. If you want to beef up your servers, then *pay* people to hack it. Put out an add for people who think they can hack it, and pay them for it. You can watch the hack when it happens, and maybe even talk to the guy(s) while you're being hacked and share resources. Win-win for everyone. Don't thank the people who beat you up. Make it a sparring match instead.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
To deal with this is He got what was comimg to him only if he was hitting dozens of physical servers and not virtual servers that can be reset in under a minute. Still the best way to deal with kids like this is to silply reset all but one stat. Their deaths.

G

As somebody who regularly has to fix damage caused by antics like this, I couldn't be happier to read this.

It's about time silly twerps like this kid were dragged out of their bedrooms and shown prison for a few weeks.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Vermil[/nom]I think it's time to start kicking up penalties for all kinds of computer and network crimes. The No 1 reason so many jerks behave like thieves, saboteurs and terrorists online is that they can expect to get away with it. Even if they get caught. The courts made that point almost from the start. With a more serious view on these crimes, which they deserve, it will also pave the way for tracing and apprehending these scums.[/citation]

Thats the point of the interweb you d*****ss. If you dont like it, stay offline.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]He deserved it. You break the law, you face the consequences. No, what he did was not something trivial - he took advantage of a flaw, exploiting it for his own gains.Don't defend his "work" by going on about UK being a police state and whatnot.[/citation]

Guys, I hate to be pedantic but let's not jump the gun. As far as I'm aware the person in question is still innocent until proven guilty..

he boy is currently being held on suspicion of offenses under the Computer Misuse Act.

Let's also differentiate establish the real motive behind this alleged action on his part.

Alternatively, we can as suggested, blindly believe everything we're told, and use it to act as judge and jury. We can also forget the love/hate relationship with hackers, some of whom go on to work for governments. Suffice to say do you think the only people who attack interests in this manner are teenagers with a gripe over a game, sitting in their bedroom? Let he who is without sin, etc etc..

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]He deserved it. You break the law, you face the consequences. No, what he did was not something trivial - he took advantage of a flaw, exploiting it for his own gains.Don't defend his "work" by going on about UK being a police state and whatnot.[/citation]

Guys, I hate to be pedantic but let's not jump the gun. As far as I'm aware the person in question is still innocent until proven guilty..

The boy is currently being held on suspicion of offenses under the Computer Misuse Act.

Source: Tom's Hardware.

Let's also try and establish the real motive behind this alleged action on his part.

Alternatively we can as suggested, blindly believe everything we're told, and use it to act as judge and jury. We can also negate the love/hate relationship with hackers, and that some of those hackers go on to work for large corporations/governments.

Suffice to say, do you think the only people who attack interests in this manner are teenagers with a gripe over a game, sitting in their bedroom intent on causing World War III? Let he who is without sin, etc etc..

G

Not that I agree with some random kid getting away with DDoSing a server, but I'm still bitter about the fact I paid 60 dollars for a laggy, jerky, bug ridden pile of garbage.

The fact that you cannot return software is just the icing on the cake.

"Trust us that this game is going to be functional" is what they essentially tell you, then when you buy it, you have no recourse if the product ends up being far below consumer expectations.

Black Ops is essentially still in Beta on the PC, and we get to pay to be testers.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
On a general note regarding Internet security.

We also have the emergence of cloud computing, and increasing Internet speeds empowering (or as some would see caging), people right across the planet. More and more people are no longer questioning beyond what they can find in a Google search.

To facilitate such an unprecedented amount of bandwidth there are a growing number of private interests, who on the surface appear only too willing to 'look after our interests' to 'create a better tomorrow'. Many of the these private interests also have a close relationship with governments..haven't they always? Yes, to a point. Up until recently the Internet mainly served the interests of the people, until it was found that the technology itself was outstripping traditional media in terms of informing people so that they can make up their own minds.

How do you retain control? Simple. You create enemies. You create Cyber Terrorism bills. You create scenario's. You ensure that everything migrates from a public interest to a private one.

The implications of commercial interests in public affairs has a much far-reaching impact than a kid messing about on a game server, don't you think? These commercial interests are, in essence, hacking your right to free speech, and along with it any form of resolve through dialog and understanding without fear of reprisal.

Bit by bit, you're told what you can say, and where you can say it. Bit by bit, the reprisals move further away from public scrutiny. Such private interests have incredible influence as well as resource; they can buy up land, and news publishers along the Mexican border in the blink of an eye, which they already have. They can push agenda's, like the North American Union, not through proper dialogue but through sheer repetition. They can give you technology on one hand, and deprive you of your rights in the other.

It is easy to say all this and come across as being pessimistically against any form of regulation, or indeed government. That's not what I feel. But I do feel that this technology is slowly and surely slipping into the hands of people that are a threat to our well-being. All they have to do is use that technology against us.

Who are the biggest threats to the Internet: a kid who creates a much-needed wake-up call, or global, corporate Interests who care nothing for anything but for themselves? Ask yourself that when you're sitting in a train station, and your laptop can't browse an alternative news website because some pen-pushing bureaucrat doesn't like your type..

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
sad to go to jail for cheating at a game.....how is a kid to know that cheating offline is ok but online will get u in jail.....i am all for justice but when is it the kid and not the parents responsibility? kids just want to win at games.....what if young hackers is the new way of filling up jails? with canabis getting more and more legal.............

G

Blah blah blah.

Denial of Service attacks and hacking other people's assets are crimes, as they should be.

The progressive penalties for online cheating should be significantly ramped up. For example Blizzard is way too leanient, imho.

It should be: No warning for cheating, it starts with a major suspension, followed by a permanent ban of that key, and if this person cheats in any other title (or the same one) later under another key, they are banned from that companies titles for life.

I do not even bother with multiplayer titles anymore except SC2, and issues like this are exactly why I don't bother. And why would i compete online in SC2 against somebody who plays 16 hours a day? The virtual gaming world is a wacky and wild place...

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
honestly, wot is this absurd idea that this or any other game should be fair and balanced? show me anything in life that is truly fair and balanced and I'll show you Santa Claus's real house in Arizona... there will always be someone that's better than you regardless of the playing field and you'll most likely call them a cheater... i can't even count how many times fights have started at LAN parties simply because some people can't grasp that others are just naturally better than they are or actually put in effort to exploit every single angle there is to a given game... because you use an ability that others don't know about does not make you a cheater. because you put in the time and effort to learn and practice the most efficient ways to get something done does not make you a cheater. as for legitimate cheats that injected into the game by 3rd party software, then the game developer should be forced to fix or figure out a way to disable those cheats. if they can't be bothered to fix their software, then it is no one else's fault but theirs. not the cheaters. the developer is being paid to render service and it is their responsibility to fix problems with the service or faults in the delivery system. that such an exploit, like the one in this case, even existed for as long as it did shows you that this developer does not care about actual functionality and reliability since they already made their money when you bought the game... and the end of the day, this is all about a game... not about emergency services or even someone's livelihood because again, they've already been paid by people buying the game.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]zoridon[/nom]People who cheat in online gaming are scum. For the life of me I can't understand how this gives them any source of accomplishment knowing it's a hollow victory. [/citation]
When Wow first came i wrote a code to allow me to bot... i could run a char from 0-maxed in about 10 days without ever doing a thing. I used to hide my memory processes from their anti bot software and avoid detection. The sense of achievement came from writing a code that allowed me to max out without detection. I find this far more "thrilling" then playing WoW... eventually after about 2 years i got caught and threatened by Bliz's lawyers to cease and desist! Credit card ban... 8 accounts later.

Playing WoW = why bother? What do you really get from it?
Bot Wow = make some real life cash; avoid detection and the loss of that account (money).

There is real life consequences for botting which makes it far more exciting than a backstab in game!

This punk kid really is hurting, he gains nothing from cheating while destrying the game. He gains nothing from cheating except a better W/L ratio... Sad

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
I hear it is designed for the kiddie consoles anyway, multi player maps are small and all that nonsense. I will stick with BF2 on my gaming rig.

OMG SOMEONE THAT ACTUALLY KNOWS A REAL GAME! Thank you my friend! BF2 is one of the best games EVER made...

rrmyguy

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]FriendlyFire[/nom]This isn't a harmless little cheat we're speaking of, he actually made a denial of service attack on a server. No matter what was the point behind it, it's a serious offense which should definitely not go unpunished.What annoys me is that the police reacts with such timely haste when Activision calls in, but if an independent host was the victim of attacks (I've known many whose work has been ruined by idiot teenagers with a few scripts), the police would just tell him/her to piss off.[/citation]

PunkBuster is crap..... I can't tell you how many times I'be been booted off of a CoD and BFBC2 servers because PB couldn't refresh..... but I play CoDMW2 and I can't keep track of all the 1shot1kill/headshot/superspeed hack/cheats that I see...... PB doesn't work for what its supposed to.....keeping the gameplay fair and even.....

Status
Not open for further replies.