2.16 GHz Pentium Quad Core (1st Generation) vs 4th Generation Intel Core i3

Lappybuzz

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014
Two Hp laptops-

1- 2.16 GHz Pentium Quad Core (1st Generation), 1 TB HDD

2- 4th Generation Intel Core i3, 500 GB HDD

Which one should be preferred, at the same price, according to you?

Solution
Clock speeds doesn't matter as we are comparing cross-platform.

The Pentium will be better in applications that need 4 dedicated cores. Something like video rendering or encoding.

The i3 will be better in single core applications. Like most games. not that either laptop will actually play games though.

In general a quad core will ALWAYS be better than a dual core with hyper threading when it comes to applications that can use 4 cores/ hyperthreading.

tiny voices

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Nope there are not. They do this to avoid confusion.

Plus this is the FIRST EVER quad core Pentium. this is the DEAD GIVEAWAY. Every single Pentium before this was a dual core.

Honestly, it was pretty obvious what it was.

tiny voices

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Clock speeds doesn't matter as we are comparing cross-platform.

The Pentium will be better in applications that need 4 dedicated cores. Something like video rendering or encoding.

The i3 will be better in single core applications. Like most games. not that either laptop will actually play games though.

In general a quad core will ALWAYS be better than a dual core with hyper threading when it comes to applications that can use 4 cores/ hyperthreading.

Solution

zeyuanfu

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014
Well, for example, let's compare the i7-5960X and the 5820K (I know they're not cross-platform, but whatever).
The 5960X has eight cores, but the 5820K has 6 (I believe). To compensate, the 5820K has a higher clock speed, and consequently, it's faster (at least in gaming). If the i3 has, say 2.8 GHz, the i3 kinda has a slight advantage on that.

tiny voices

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
But an i3 has hyperthreading and it PAILS in comparison to an i5 (quad core no hyperthreading) with gaming. What I am saying is it goes both ways. Neither argument actually applies here.

Point is what I said earlier is true regarding what each CPU is better at.

zeyuanfu

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014
Of course, as i5s have better processors (processing units). In gaming, two cores and four cores doesn't make a big difference.
I think you mean pales instead of pails (pails means buckets:))

tiny voices

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
point is both those CPUs are better for different things so you CANNOT recommend the i3 over the Pentium unless you know what he will be doing.

Also, EXACTLY what you just said applies to your previous comment about 2011 CPUs. They have different per-core performance, so your comment about clock speed is not only wrong, but incorrect fundamentally. Sorry.

Markkk

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Buy the Prettier one... lol

What are the other specifications?
GFX Card, USB support, Screen Size etc...

You cant just make a choice on CPU and HDD unless that's all you care about then flip a coin

Tharun Tharu

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

intel i3 4th genration vs 2.16 ghz pentium quad core
wich is best for gamess