2 receivers run atmos together

Tom_Enz

Prominent
Jun 26, 2017
I am buying a marantz 7010 with 9.2.4 channels but only powers 9 speakers. I would like to use my older receivers yamaha rv-x585 to power the overhead speakers from the marantz per-outs.
1. Will this work?
And if it does...
2. Since the yamaha is not "Atmos Ready" which channels from the marantz pre-outs should I send to the yamaha?

You could try running the Yamaha in 5 channel stereo and connecting the second pair of Atmos speakers to the surround speaker connections. It might not be as good but you could do it until you get another amp. Atmos speakers don't need much power.
Some old surround receivers have amp input for all 5 channels and would be pretty cheap on Craigslist since they don't even need to have digital surround in your case.

kanewolf

Judicious
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Tom_Enz : "Can one receiver, marantz SR7010 (13.1 but powers 9.1) send the atmos signal (x.x.4) to a second receiver Yamaha rx-v585?"

The Marantz has 4 height pre outs. You can connect two of them to an input on the Yamaha.
Set up the Yamaha as a stereo receiver. If it has a direct mode use it.
Connect your Atmos speakers to the Yamaha. Set the the volume on the Yamaha and don't change it. Use the Marantz to set the balance of all the speakers and for all other functions.

Tom_Enz

Prominent
Jun 26, 2017
Nice, thanks. I was hoping the Yamaha could handle the four inputs, ie 4 heights. That would mean the audio input 1 to speakers A and input 2 to speaker B, but I don't think the Yamaha can do that. I will give it a go and let you know. Thanks again.

You could try running the Yamaha in 5 channel stereo and connecting the second pair of Atmos speakers to the surround speaker connections. It might not be as good but you could do it until you get another amp. Atmos speakers don't need much power.
Some old surround receivers have amp input for all 5 channels and would be pretty cheap on Craigslist since they don't even need to have digital surround in your case.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sjwilliamsjr Audio 3
M Audio 1
A Audio 1
I Audio 1
F Audio 1
damluar Audio 2
D Audio 1
B Audio 3
M Audio 2
S Audio 0
amchenry Audio 1