2 year old possible virus I can't remove :(

Maesira

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014
I downloaded what I thought was Cities Skylines back in 2015, only to find out it was a Russian virus. I panicked and deleted all the files, only to find that the program is still lurking around. It shows up in my Uninstall list but I can't uninstall or modify it. I've tried uninstalling it through Revo but it doesn't show up there either. What should I do?
RKEyns4.png

Solution
if scans find nothing, it is possible that the actual data is all gone. You should be able to see where the uninstall entry points to through registry:
Following directions will assume you know how to use regedit.
\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

It would be one of the entries under there, either by it's clsid or name, scroll down and check each one until you find the thing in question.
It should have following clues:
Display name (should match Cities Skylines)
Install date (should match the date on uninstall options)
Version (should be 1.0 as shown in uninstall options)

And.. what you would be interested in, where it supposedly is, path wise, allowing you to either find and delete rest or.. if...

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
if scans find nothing, it is possible that the actual data is all gone. You should be able to see where the uninstall entry points to through registry:
Following directions will assume you know how to use regedit.
\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

It would be one of the entries under there, either by it's clsid or name, scroll down and check each one until you find the thing in question.
It should have following clues:
Display name (should match Cities Skylines)
Install date (should match the date on uninstall options)
Version (should be 1.0 as shown in uninstall options)

And.. what you would be interested in, where it supposedly is, path wise, allowing you to either find and delete rest or.. if it's already gone, simply delete the uninstall entry for it in the registry. (NOT whole uninstall path) causing it to vanish from the uninstall list.

Solution

Maesira

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014

Thanks a ton! I didn't end up finding it through here but now I feel more confident that I'm safe after having checked all of it.