2010 Olympic Medals Made From Old Electronics

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
The very first Olympic games awarded NO price to the winner. That's what make the Olympics different than world tour competitions, in that they are supposed to be a peaceful meeting of the people of Earth through sports; taking part in it is an honour, and winning is first and foremost a personal victory.

So, who cares what the medal are made of? Do you really think that an athlete who got a disk made of gold would melt it and sell it? Even at the price of pure gold, I don't think many would.

Moreover, as has been said by others, pure gold and silver are metals that are far too soft for this kind of jewellery/engineering when pure; so, they are usually used in compounds.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]vault_dweller[/nom]Pei-chenHave you ever been to Canada buddy. It is beautiful and pristine. It's also big and it has extreme temperatures (+45C/+113F in the the summer and -50C/-58F in the winter). So of course we spent more on electricity and gas. We also spend more money are road maintenance and car maintenance. I have been recycling since the late 1980's. Of course, since the majority of Americans are completely ignorant of Canada and the rest of the world for that matter, I found myself irritated yet completely unsurprised by your comments. I travel throughout North America several times a month, perhaps you should get out more....[/citation]
I am in NY so of course I've been to Canada. You guys have a lot to learn about living in an apartment, taking public transportation and recycling. Sure you might beat the US but you should check out Asia. Japan and Korea each uses around half the electricity of US and Canada.

Check out the Yokohama city's recycling program posted by r0x0r on another thread.
http://www.city.yokohama.jp/me/pcpb/foreign/dashikata/e.html

Status
Not open for further replies.