230w - 330w Power Supply Adapter with 2.5mm ID x 5.5mm OD plug, or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazmer81

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2013
The 180w plug for my laptop just isn't cutting it. I'm only at 56% TDP on my 980m and I don't know if my 4810mq is getting enough power either. I have 32GB RAM, often use at least two USB 3.0 plugs as well, though I'm not sure how much that matters. I need more power than 180w.

My options are:

1. Buy this 230w Adapter that's ready to use with the correct plug.

2. Buy something like this Alienware Slim adapter and then buy a 5.5mm outer diamter, 2.5mm inner diameter plug and solder it up.

My problems:

1. The only power adapter I've found is the one I listed, and I'm not sure how much I can trust it and it's also more than I'd like to spend.

2. I have searched for hours and cannot find a 5.5mm x 2.5mm plug that can handle the amount of current I'll be using (230w - 19v~20v @ 12A)

----------------

So, where can I find either a barrel or right angle 5.5mm x 2.5mm that can handle 230w @12A?

Thank you for your help!

Reactions: dxyuyu

kazmer81

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2013
I thought this would be the place to ask this...

I just need a 5.5mm x 2.5mm plug that's rated for 20 volts at around 10 amps.

I found the x75 adapter that converts a 7.4 x 5.0mm plug to a 5.5 x 2.5mm, but it's current rating seems too low for this use. I think it says no more than 120 watts. I don't want a fire hazard.

Any ideas for a solution? I'm open to alternative suggestions here.

Thank you!

kazmer81

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2013
Not sure if it matters to anyone, but this is for a Clevo p150sm-a. I don't understand why they used this unusual sized socket, but it's driving me nuts. I love Clevo, but this has caused a great deal of frustration.

mikef845

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
That's a lot of power for a laptop. A desktop with a graphics card can run off 150W. The laptop has to get rid of that 230 W of heat. It could burn out the laptop.

If you can do without one of the RAM sticks, one could be removed to reduce power usage. Most games will run happily with 16 Gb RAM.
The USB sticks could be removed when playing games to reduce power.

HP/Compaq might sell a suitable adaptor.

If the above aren't useful, soldering a plug cable on to the 230W adaptor might be the way to go. Maybe it would be easier to email all of the sellers and see if they can get the adaptor with the correct plug.

kazmer81

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2013
Thank you for the reply. I realize it's alot, but this laptop can handle more power no problem. I've used Gelid GC-Extreme paste with Gelid GP-extreme thermal pads on all the parts that needed it and temps are cool. The GPU only goes up to 60c under load, the CPU is fine too. In GPU-z it's telling me that I'm getting power capped so it will love the extra juice. I need to unleash the beast!

mikef845

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

Does power-capped mean the GPU is hitting its internal power limit? The Power limit can be set to +20%, but it might shorten the life of the GPU.

kazmer81

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2013
GPU-z monitors the performance of the chip. During benchmarks, it told me that the 980m was performance capped due to power, it's not getting enough. The max TDP at the time of this performance cap was only 57% and the temperature of the GPU was only 65c. This tells me I can push this chip quite a bit more, but the only way to do so is with more power.

With that said, I still haven't found the right plug. I'm thinking about just purchasing that generic 230w power brick I found.

Thank you again for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.