3.5 mm male to 3.5 mm 3 way female problems.

Amolk247

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I have recently bought a 3.5 mm male to 3.5 mm 3 way female headphone splitter cable from radioshack. Overall, on my Hyper X Cloud 2's, the sound is alright but not as good as if I just had the Cloud 2's plugged in. The problem comes from my Turtle Beach Ear Force XO Four headset which sounds bad. The sound coming out of the turtle beach is a lot worst compared to the Hyper X headset. Watching youtube and twitch while using the headset with the splitter, voices from the youtubers/streamers can barely be heard and I cant hear the voices of streamers on twitch at all, only the background noise, but can hear everything fine while using the Hyper X headset. Is this normal for the splitter or am I doing something wrong? Keep in mind, both of these headsets were used at the same time with the splitter when the sound was bad. I plan on playing some scary games with my friends using the headsets and the splitters. Will the sound reflect better in a video game then in a youtube video or twitch stream? Please help.

These splitters do nothing more than just to connect the wires in parallel, so they would work best when used with identical headphones.

There is a chance the headphones you are using have vastly different impedance (a measure of electrical resistance), so they sound "differently". If you want to use these headphones with single audio source, you will need "active" splitter (that is, two stereo amplifiers connected in parallel), and I am not sure these ever exist, or are $5 commodity.