3 E D C Keys Randomly Stop Working

jbleskey

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Hey guys. I bought an HP Envy 17 non 3D version a while back and just recently I started to notice my 3, E, D, and C keys stop randomly working. I'll push them down real hard when they stop working, and they come back working just fine, doesn't matter how hard I press them afterwards, they pick up the lightest of keystrokes. Is this hardware related, or just another failure by HP?

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

"hardware related, or just another failure by HP" - HP integrated all of the hardware.

Who is to blame aside, it sounds like your contacts underneath the keys, underneath the silicon "nipples" are either oxidized and/or the keys were suffering from a manufacturer's defect.

Warranty should cover this, and it might be a real easy fix (swap the keyboard at Hp's expense).

jbleskey

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
So I saw someone else having dropped key problems with their Envy.. their solution was to enable hardware virtualization in BIOS. So I did that, and it seems to not be completely cutting out the keys now. If I press one of the 4 keys and it doesn't register, I press it again and they (all 4) start to work for a random amount of time. I also switched the fn key function on the F keys.. weird how it is working now

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Bizarre, I have not heard of this solution, or problem on other laptops except when someone pours beverage on the keyboard...

jbleskey

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

Haha. Okay, so I guess problem solved for now.. will post back if something drastic happens.