3 TV's to 1 DirectTV box

Chloe1211

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
I just had 3 new smart TV's installed along with Direct TV. I did not want to pay for 3 boxes since these TV's are for outside and I am going to watch the same thing on all 3 TV's. I asked the installer if it was possible and how much would it cost? The installer said a few hundred dollars. I agreed to it and received a bill for 3 sets of Wirestorm Balums at $379 each and then 3 set of wirstorm HDMI splitters for 88.00 each a total cost of $1,301.00. Are all of these things needed to see the same thing on 3 TV's? It will take me over 10 years to recoup my money on this cost vs 10 more dollars for 2 more boxes per month from Direct TV. Please advise. I think I am being ripped off.

Solution
The baluns allow you to substitute cheap CAT5e or 6 for long HDMI cables. You would only need 5 short HDMI cables. Some HDMI cables are expensive but usually not worth it for short runs. Maybe $100 for 5 decent cables would have been fine.
It's not that they overcharged you for the hardware but there were less expensive baluns they could have used. Given you were trying to save money I don't think it was fair not letting you know the real price before they started.
Not sure why you would need 3 splitters. A single 1 to 3 HDMI distribution amp would be all you would need.
As for the baluns to convert HDMI to ethernet there are less expensive ones available. Sometimes you can run HDMI cables so no conversion is needed.
The installer should have consulted with you before jacking up his price so much. I don't think it's unreasonable for you to complain about that.

The baluns allow you to substitute cheap CAT5e or 6 for long HDMI cables. You would only need 5 short HDMI cables. Some HDMI cables are expensive but usually not worth it for short runs. Maybe $100 for 5 decent cables would have been fine.
It's not that they overcharged you for the hardware but there were less expensive baluns they could have used. Given you were trying to save money I don't think it was fair not letting you know the real price before they started.

Solution