Hooking Up an Old Panasonic DVD Home Sound System to Direct TV Box and Sony Smart TV.

Aug 17, 2018
I have a panasonic dvd home sound system (SC-HT640W) with no optic sound or hdmi outputs. I am trying to connect this with my direct tv box (hr54-200) and sony smart tv (XBR55X900E). I'm not sure the flow required and what cords are needed to setup the surround sound for both my dvd's and cable.

Wolfshadw

Splendid
Well, your DVD Sound System should play DVDs in surround (assuming they were recorded in surround).

You could try connecting either the HDTV's Headphone's out to the sound system's Aux input or using an audio connection from the DirecTV box to the Aux input on the sound system, but since it's only a left/right audio signal, it's not likely to play in surround sound mode. Depending on the system, it *MIGHT* attempt to simulate surround sound from a stereo signal, but I would not expect that.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Operations Manual

Wolfshadw

Splendid
Well, your DVD Sound System should play DVDs in surround (assuming they were recorded in surround).

You could try connecting either the HDTV's Headphone's out to the sound system's Aux input or using an audio connection from the DirecTV box to the Aux input on the sound system, but since it's only a left/right audio signal, it's not likely to play in surround sound mode. Depending on the system, it *MIGHT* attempt to simulate surround sound from a stereo signal, but I would not expect that.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Operations Manual

The TV has a hybrid headphone analog audio output. The HTS has an analog audio input. You need a cable with a 3.5mm stereo mini plug at the TV end and two RCA plugs at the HTS end. Check the TV manual on how to use the hybrid output.
Select a surround mode on the HTS for a stereo cinema input.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Streaming Video & TVs 4
G Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 1
E Streaming Video & TVs 2
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 2
J Streaming Video & TVs 2
P Streaming Video & TVs 2
J Streaming Video & TVs 1