Solved! 4 Ram Slots According to TM but can only find 2

Feb 17, 2018
So my Laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 300-15ISK, i got it back 2016, on task manager it says it is got 4 ram slots but when i open the panel on the back i visibly only see 2 ram slots, no they don't stack and would they be deeper on motherboard or under more panels? and second question i am not sure if this is the right laptop i bought when i lok up the model, it comes up with a all black frame laptop, all black inside frame and black keyboard, mine has a silver lid, black screen perimeter thingy, black keys but rest is silver. Is this how it is under where the Laptop details are it says it is a Ideapad 300-15ISK (80Q7) is it because the ones now are newer? and is task manager stuffing up? because i don't see aa 3rd and 4th slot. thanks!

Solution
Those are probably the only two slots which are upgradeable with RAM. The other two are probably soldered on.

Confirm the models and the year. It may look different due to colour schemes.

double check task manager or send a screenshot so we can check it out.

ArchitSahu

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014
Those are probably the only two slots which are upgradeable with RAM. The other two are probably soldered on.

Confirm the models and the year. It may look different due to colour schemes.

double check task manager or send a screenshot so we can check it out.

Solution
Feb 17, 2018

it is a 2016 model and am confident because i got in when i began year 7 of schooling, yeah if the other 2 slots are soldered on what does that mean and what would that mean for me?

https://imgur.com/a/aUZPx

^^ is the task manager and showing 2 out of 4 slots.

my other laptop is very similar but a year older and says 1 of 2 slots but i know where both slots are. So i am curios why i cant figure/ find them on this one.

Thanks,

Paul

ArchitSahu

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

Yup, so it seems like 2 of your slots are soldered on/underneath the panel, meaning you cannot reach them or touch them unless you take apart the PC altogether. You should be able to add RAM to the two slots you found however.

Feb 17, 2018

Yeah man, ive already added ram to those slots, originally i had 4gb ram 2x2gb ram sticks but got 4x2gb ram sticks, and put them in, i was gonna get 4x4gb ram sticks but i couldn't find other 2 slots and didn't know if it was a glitch or error in TM, so if i pulled it apart i would find the 2 extra slots and could i put more sticks into them?

ArchitSahu

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

You technically should but there could be problems:
a) It voids any warranties left.
b) Some manufacturers solder on their memory to the boards so it is not removable. This leaves you with an open laptop and no warranty.

I would not do it, but the choice is yours.