40 Billionaires Pledge Away Half Their Wealth

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]matt314[/nom]Not Steve Jobs?[/citation]

Honestly??? I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one receiving some of the charity money...

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]magicandy[/nom]The best thing about being a billionaire and giving away half your money is the worst you could do is be a millionaire.[/citation]

Correction, "multi-millionaire"...

reconspartan

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
[citation][nom]magicandy[/nom]The best thing about being a billionaire and giving away half your money is the worst you could do is be a millionaire.[/citation]

i never thought of it that way. insightful

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]matt314[/nom]Not Steve Jobs?[/citation]
lol... that was the first thing I thought of after I read the article. Steve Jobs is mysteriously absent.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Apart from my wise-cracks above, i feel that this is a great move, more of this needs to happen more often. Honestly, what do people think they would have done with all this money anyway? It should least go to a good cause...

peterkidd

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]blazeorangeman[/nom]I know a good charity: my mortgagePlease contact me if you need my address, thanks![/citation]
Hi! I am a billionaire from Nigeria. I need to transfer millions of dollars to the US. If you help me, I can give you a substantial sum. All you will need to do is send me 5000 dollars for me to pay off certain government officials.

iNiNe5

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
It's easy to give away so much when you have so much.... a billionaire giving away 50% of his wealth is nothing compared to a beggar on the street giving away $5 out of the only $10 he has on him...

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Theres gonna be no poor people left at this rate. Its absolutely fantastic tho, one person with billions is pointless especially if its sitting doing nothing. Money is only useful when its spent and what a better way to spend it. Personally I would spend it between disability and special needs schools and folding@home.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]iNiNe5[/nom]It's easy to give away so much when you have so much.... a billionaire giving away 50% of his wealth is nothing compared to a beggar on the street giving away $5 out of the only $10 he has on him...[/citation]

Yea and how often do you see that happen? I'm still waiting for the bum that comes up and asks for a sandwich instead of asking for a few bucks to buy one (which really means buying booze).

These billionaires are wealthy for a reason, not chance. They worked their asses off, were creative and competitive. They have absolutely no obligation to share their wealth with anyone else because it is their money and no one elses. Yea they would look like douches for hoarding it all and just sitting on it but they can if they want.

I think it speaks well to their character when they give back, no matter how big or small the amount.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I bet uncle sam now hates these guys and was planning on raping them with the 35% estate tax. If I had 35% of the fortune of the poeple listed, I would buy back the U.S. from the companies that currently own it.

Status
Not open for further replies.