$400-$550 laptop for minecraft

Ace331FTW

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
My little brother wants to play Minecraft constantly above 30 fps and maybe do a little recording, sometimes some light mods like Pixelmon. Should I go with:
i3 w/ dedicated GPU
i5 w/ HD 4600
AMD A8 or A10
My old laptop had an AMD E-450 which has an ok GPU but terrible CPU power, making it even worse than my mom's sandy bridge i3 w/ HD 3000 at Minecraft. Now I don't know if GPU or CPU is more important.

Kai Dowin

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

Oh dear, my bad! The A8 solution (and hence the Acer laptop) is actually faster than the dual graphics' solution that I found. (And also won't suffer from micro stuttering).

Ace331FTW

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

Thanks. How much do you think the extra disrcete card will help the APU though? Will Minecraft even benefit from it? If not then I could probably just get the $429 one without it, right?

jaguarskx

Champion
Based on some research, AMD's dual graphics will only work with DX11 games. Playing DX10 and below games will automatically default to just the integrated graphics core.

I think Minecraft is a DX11 game, but you need to check on that.

Kai Dowin

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

Oh dear, my bad! The A8 solution (and hence the Acer laptop) is actually faster than the dual graphics' solution that I found. (And also won't suffer from micro stuttering).

jaguarskx

Champion
If your little brother is a student (which I am pretty sure he is), then you might want to check out the ThinkPad E545 from Lenovo's "student's" site which offers a little bit of a discount. The base price is $474, but upgrading it to the A10-5750m with the Radeon HD 8650g integrated graphics core works out to $541 before tax.

The HD 8650g is basically the most powerful integrated GPU you can get. It is over $100 more than the Acer so keep that in mind, however, this is the cheapest price you will see for a new laptop with an A10-5750m APU. Since this is a ThinkPad series laptop that name also adds in a bit of a price premium.

http://shop.lenovo.com/usstudents/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/e-series/e545/

It would assume upon checkout you or your parents will need to provide some type of proof that you are a student.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Laptop Tech Support 1
CraftingJade101 Laptop Tech Support 1
Y Laptop Tech Support 3
J Laptop Tech Support 4
N Laptop Tech Support 3
E Laptop Tech Support 2
T Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 6
N Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1