480 steam performance test crash

srymal

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Hi, I had an r9 290x in my system, I ran the steam vr test just last night and everything was fine. I installed an rx 480 in place of it and now the steam vr test doesn't run until the end. It just shuts off. I uninstalled and reinstalled it a couple of times witht he same result. My drivers are up to date. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? If I can't fix it I guess I'll go back to the r9. I switched because I run 4 monitors on my system and was hoping the extra vram would help the higher resolution.

Solution
Hi I don`t understand why people are buying RX 480 cards when they have R9 290X cards.
A 290 X card has more stream processors than a RX 480 graphics card by Ati.

The R9 290 X card is more power full with 2816 stream processors vs a RX 480 with 2304.

Plus a R9 290x series has a 512bit bus vs a RX 480 at only 256 bit bus.

Why are people buying RX 480 cards? it`s sheer waste of money.

Anyway you have your answer. A R9 290x card can perform and complete the Steam Vr test with Direct X 12.

It`s likely more to do with the steam VR test software and a redesigned gpu core of a RX card causing the error.

Just out of curiosity, what made you buy a RX 480 card when you already had a more powerful card the R9 290X srymal

There was another...

Shaun o

Distinguished
Hi I don`t understand why people are buying RX 480 cards when they have R9 290X cards.
A 290 X card has more stream processors than a RX 480 graphics card by Ati.

The R9 290 X card is more power full with 2816 stream processors vs a RX 480 with 2304.

Plus a R9 290x series has a 512bit bus vs a RX 480 at only 256 bit bus.

Why are people buying RX 480 cards? it`s sheer waste of money.

Anyway you have your answer. A R9 290x card can perform and complete the Steam Vr test with Direct X 12.

It`s likely more to do with the steam VR test software and a redesigned gpu core of a RX card causing the error.

Just out of curiosity, what made you buy a RX 480 card when you already had a more powerful card the R9 290X srymal

There was another poster on here a few days ago asking why his frame rate was lower than his R9 290X card also, ok I know RX 480 cards use less power, or consume less in wattage.

But look how much performance you loose ...

Solution

frostedtim

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014

I had a friend who used two 290X's for a bitcoin mining rig. Sadly he chose cards with the stock blower/cooler on it, so it was obnoxiously loud. Only fix I could recommend to him is to upgrade to newer cards when he had the chance or mod them with water cooling. He was too cheap to do either, even though he farmed plenty of coin to cover the costs.

Sakkura

Distinguished

You're looking too narrowly at the specs. The RX 480 gets much more performance per stream processor and also gets more out of its memory interface.

The RX 480 is on par with the R9 290X in general.

In addition it uses much less power and supports newer features. Specifically for VR, it supports ASW which means it can run higher graphics settings on an Oculus Rift.

How does it do in games and other benchmarks?