4K movies/ tv shows on 4k tv using 1080p native monitor mirroring

May 8, 2018
Hi i have question, when i will mirror let say 4k movie on mine 1080p native pc monitor to samsung mu8000 will it show 4k or upscaled 1080p? Do I need 4k monitor to mirror 4k on 4k tv or change resolution on mine 1080p monitor to 2160p?

Solution
You can set your monitor and TV to whatever priority you wish though W10 will only function as you mentioned as far as apps go. As for dragging it between the two, that's a bit of a gray area. Still, the resolution of the recorded source material is what will dictate if it plays correctly: playing 4k on 1080p is only going to display as 1080p; playing 1080p on 4K may be upconverted depending on what's playing the source or it may not. Blu-Ray players will either up or down convert based on the connected device's display ability. I can't speak to the software you'd be using and you'd need to look into the literature to be sure it converts.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
The movie should be displayed at the native resolution of the monitor no matter what the resolution of the source material may be. How are you sending the source material to the TV from your PC or vice versa? Is it a direct connection (HMDI or DP) or are you streaming between?

May 8, 2018
Im planing to buy tv so i just want to know all the details. Im planning to connect pc to monitor via displeyport/dvi or dsplayport/hdmi nonverter and pc to tv via hdmi 2.a( needed for hdr). I think only way to see 4k movie on 4k tv played on mine 1080p monitor i to set extend those displeys seting not to duplicate and just drag player like vlc from monitor to tv and play movie, not sure just seen some youtube movies guides that did that

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Unless you have a 4K monitor and 4K source material for your PC, it's not going to display as intended and will display only in the native resolution of the monitor being used. Additionally, you'll need a DVI-D cable, HMDI as mentioned, or a DP connection to your monitor and the same to your TV. Period.

May 8, 2018
Hmm but if I will set 4k tv as mine primary monitor and 1080 monitor as secondary and play 4k movie on pc connected to tv and old monitor i think it shoud play 4k on tv? Pc is new with 1050ti so all the needed standart for hdr 4k

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Yes, I do believe that would work. As before, the source material must be 4K and the display the same to show it as intended. Otherwise, it's only going to display at the native resolution of whatever the display showing it is set to do regardless of the 4k source. There's no getting around that.

May 8, 2018
thx for answer Lasy question can i set mine 1080p as primary monitor and tv as secondary then play 4k movie on primary drag movie to secondary and it will be 4k or i need to set 4k tv as promary and play on it and pc monitor as secondary .Im asking becowse wind 10 wont open aplications od secondary just on primary and its easier for me to just drag movie to tv than using it for opening aplications

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
You can set your monitor and TV to whatever priority you wish though W10 will only function as you mentioned as far as apps go. As for dragging it between the two, that's a bit of a gray area. Still, the resolution of the recorded source material is what will dictate if it plays correctly: playing 4k on 1080p is only going to display as 1080p; playing 1080p on 4K may be upconverted depending on what's playing the source or it may not. Blu-Ray players will either up or down convert based on the connected device's display ability. I can't speak to the software you'd be using and you'd need to look into the literature to be sure it converts.

Solution