5.1 Audio out of my HDMI port ?

shanedoyle

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Hi, I have an ASUS K52JR notebook which has an HDMI port on it. Does anyone know if it is possible to get 5.1 audio out of the HDMI port to feed my Cambridge PCWorks 5.1 speaker system ?

Thanks
Shane D

Solution
You're going to need a digital converter of some kind - the HDMI audio signals are digital, whereas your 3.5mm jacks will be expecting analog signals. A standard home theater satellite box should do it (with some converters for the 3.5mm jacks you'll either have to make or buy). I don't know of any standalone HDMI audio converters.
I do believe that the 5470 supports up to 7.1 surround audio. I believe that all you have to do is to ensure that you have the latest drivers for it (I'd check AMD's site for specific sound drivers for it) and set up your sound properties to output via HDMI.

shanedoyle

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010

Thanks buwish, no worries on the software side of it, it's the physical side that is a mystery. What piece of kit or adaptor do I use to connect the 2 x mini stereo plugs to the HDMI output cable ?

frozenlead

Distinguished
You're going to need a digital converter of some kind - the HDMI audio signals are digital, whereas your 3.5mm jacks will be expecting analog signals. A standard home theater satellite box should do it (with some converters for the 3.5mm jacks you'll either have to make or buy). I don't know of any standalone HDMI audio converters.

Solution
G

n
n
nwill thisk cable do the job?
n
nhttp://cgi.ebay.it/CAVO-HDMI-RCA-RGB-GOLD-PSP-COMPONENT-TV-AUDIO-VIDEO-LCD-/110680137782?pt=Accessori_Audio_Video&hash=item19c50ce036