5.1 surround for music and movies

wayne2ooo8

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Hey guys. I'm looking for a good 5.1 system for both music and movies, around 200-300w RMS. Price range about $150-250. I love Logitech, though they don't have anything that fits what I'm looking for. Would love to hear everyone's opinion, thank you!

music and movies.... from what type of input device?
ps3, pc, dvd player, ipod? multiple input devices?

for pc use i agree that logitech makes some speakers which have a good $/quality ratio but they are not ideal for any sort of home theatre in the least.

what type of speakers are you looking for? satelite, bookshelf or floorstanding speakers?

for $150-250 you are not likely to get any sort of quality speakers. for about $500+/- you have more options such as this, or energy take 5.1 linked in the review. you would still need a receiver or amplifier to power them which would bring you up to around the budget i listed above.

if you want to keep closer to your budget of $150-250 i would suggest a 2.0 setup with these speakers and an amplifier or receiver. we have a set similar to this out in the living room and while not the best sound i've ever heard are very impressive for the cost. no need for a subwoofer either as they produce more than enough low bass. you can always upgrade later on if you want.

dont have the cash to throw around? i would suggest checking out your local flea markets. i've seen plenty of sound systems for sale though most of them are the typical several year old crappy htib sets. i did see the exact speakers i used up at a sale once (klipsch quintet iv's valued at $500) but they were beat up and i really didnt need them (i just bought my speakers that same month). you can definitely find some buys at times.

wayne2ooo8

Honorable
May 12, 2013

Sorry If i didnt mention, this setup is for pc. Yeah I'm not expecting a Bose home theatre or anything. And yes obviously watts and sq are not related. Just saying I'd like something that sounds half decent that happens to be around 200w RMS. I have a Logitech 5.1 70w RMS and its OK for movies and music. Was just looking for something similar but double the watts.. I did find some nice 2.1 for PC but I'd like surround for movies. I was looking at the logitech z-5500 but I'd rather not spend $500. I feel like I'd never get my moneys worth, my neighbors would be bitching before I get to blast 500w lol.

logitech z906 500w 5.1 is available for $336
its an imprement over what you have now but its not quite at the level of the z-5500

you posted in the home audio section of the forum instead of perepherals. in this subsection we typically are dealing with home theater speakers hence the claim that your budget is not large enough and the need for you to clarify what you wanted.

i can definitely tell you that there is a huge difference between pc speaker and ht speakers. i'm using a 275w 5.0 + 450w sub $1300 system and i wouldnt ever go back. granted you can get into a nice ht system much less than what i spent and even a cheaper option of say $500-700 is going to blow the doors off of anything in the pc market, z-5500 included.