5.1 surround sound help i guess?

Michael Wade

Honorable
May 11, 2013
So I'm gonna try explain this as easy for you to read as possible because I sort of have an idea, but I muddle it up in my head.
So I Have a 50inch 4k TV, a 5.1 surround sound HTIB and my pc,
Currently setup like so -
Pc>hdmi>tv
receiver>hdmi>tv(ARC)
This produces 5. 1 surround when playing movies etc. I'm happy with this, it all works, i don't understand why it has DDlive and DDInteractive when using optical on games etc, but only 2ch when hdmi, but not an issue that bothers me.
It's more so the fact the bass is not, well bassy
So I'm looking for a new 2.1/3.1? System, 400 pushing 500 pound
But the whole passive / active sub thing confuses me
What would you recommend I Do?

HTIB are in the budget category, and WEAK in my book. You maybe able to add an active, more powerful sub to it, ASSUME HTIB is doing bass management correctly. Bass Management=route low frequencies to sub regardless of source type (stereo or surround). That would be your cheapest upgrade. Get an active sub capable of taking high level inputs. Can't say for certain until u post some clear pics.

If this was me, I would run away from HTIB and switch myself to an honest-to-God AVR and discreet speakers, but that's just me.

Michael Wade

Honorable
May 11, 2013

That's the aim, but I'm so confused as to what to buy with what? Example, if I buy a couple speakers, what receiver do I need? What sub do I need to match this? Searching active sub brings up car subs or tiny box subs it's all confusing me