5.1 surround sound loudspeaker installation

shaheb

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Hi, I am currently working on a sound installation project and the goal is to provide a 360 degree listening experience to the audience present in the middle of a circular arena...the audience will experience a sound moving 360 degree around them.
Now this is how I want to execute it. First rent a 5.1 recording studio to mix and master the audio source in 5.1 surround, then take the mastered audio and play it through a PC which has a 7.1 PCIe sound card installed (Asus Essence STX II 7.1). Now I take 6 (5.1) outputs from the soundcard and connect each output to 5 individual loudspeaker placed all around the circular arena in a 72 degree separation along with a subwoofer. Now what i need to understand is if I am using active speakers like the JBL STX800 series will a direct connection between the soundcard and each individual speaker work. In other words will the soundcard be able to drive 800w-1600w speakers without any problems?

Thanks.

Solution

That receiver will power far more than a sound card in a PC.
Since you seem to have deep pockets for this....get a different amp to drive the speakers.
But don't try to do this directly off a sound card in a PC.

Oh, and "1000 watt speakers" is what they can handle, not what is required to drive them.

shaheb

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

Even if I use a regular amp won't I still have to take the output from the PC soundcard or else how'll I get the 5.1 surround sound properties.

USAFRet

Illustrious

The receiver/amp will do all that 5.1 stuff. And sound way better.
PC->amp/receiver->speakers.

shaheb

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

Oh like that! So I take each output from the soundcard, connect them to 6 individual amps which drive their individual speakers and a sub...right?

USAFRet

Illustrious

No.
1 amp, with typical 5.1 speaker connections.

Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer/Onkyo.

I have a Denon AVR-S510BT which would probably do all you need.
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs510bt
~$250USD.

shaheb

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
No.
1 amp, with typical 5.1 speaker connections.

Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer/Onkyo.

I have a Denon AVR-S510BT which would probably do all you need.
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs510bt
~$250USD.[/quotemsg]

I though of going the home theater receiver route but was reluctant since they all come in 130w, 150w max 200w per channel, will they be able to drive a 1000w PA? I guess the speakers won't get enough juice to run at full capacity or worst fry the receiver!

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Umm, for pro sound installation, those JBLs should work fine. I run 3200 watts worth of Mackie PA powered cabinets from a Berhinger X-AIR XR18 mixer. The only issue with what you want to do would be that the sound card your using my not have a hot enough signal to drive the JBLs to there rated output. I believe the speakers you want to use can be driven from either a line level signal or a mic level signal, so you should be OK. There is no difference between powered speakers and unpowered speakers and seperate amps for this application. This is considered commercial sound, where you wouldnt notice the slightly higher quality of going with seperate components as you would in say, a home theater application where you would be listening much more critically. It would almost certainly have to go from a unbalanced to a balanced connection if the cables from the pc to the speakers will be over 50 feet. All that being said, it would not be a bad idea to get a multi-channel USB audio interface instead of the internal sound card to drive your PA rig, it would just make the whole thing better/easier to work with.

USAFRet

Illustrious

That receiver will power far more than a sound card in a PC.
Since you seem to have deep pockets for this....get a different amp to drive the speakers.
But don't try to do this directly off a sound card in a PC.

Oh, and "1000 watt speakers" is what they can handle, not what is required to drive them.

Solution

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
USAFRet, home audio components wont hold up to commercial sound use, nor do they provide anywhere near enough power. The JBLs the OP is reffering to have built in 1000watt amps for each speaker. You did get the part about filling a circular arena, right? Home speakers/receivers, integrated amps, while better quality, dont have the muscle to serve as a PA. My home theater consists of Sunfire, Carver, Adcom (3 GFA555 amps @200wpc @8 ohms RMS) and even that is not suited for PA use. Pro Audio and Home Audio are two very different animals that play by different rules.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Probably not enough traffic in that small realm.
There are a few people around here that are much more capable than I am in this area.

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
No worries! I've been in Audio in one form or another for 30+ years, and i'm still learning everyday! These are the kinda questions I live for. Sound and sound reinforcement are very misunderstood sciences. Love to help when I can and try to clear things up where applicable.
Till next time...

USAFRet

Illustrious

Glad to have you aboard!