5.1 surround system Help!

Yayness

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016
Hello all. I have now searched far and wide both here and the rest of the Internet. I've come across some answers, that just end up confusing me more than helping me.

So here is my problem.
I have a decent gaming rig, and a home theater surround sound system. I've hooked my pc up with the system through coax cable. Now, as far as I have understood, this should enable surround sound from my pc and out of the speakers. But it does only gives me stereo sound, both in Windows audio manager and in games and movies.
So it is like this: pc => home theater for the audio part. For the image is pc => tv with hdmi.

If this very question has already been answered, then my apologies.

I hope I've made myself clear, since English is not my native language.

The PC Audio out. Is that from your motherboard's rear I/O panel, an add on bracket to a pin set in the motherboard, or from a discrete sound card? If not from a discrete sound card, what motherboard do you have (or what PC) and which connector are you using?

-Wolf sends

Yayness

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016

990FX Extreme3 is the motherboard. And i use the coax-out output on the motherboard. I have tried using the optical output, but just the same story. - Sorry for my late reply.

Ok. Right-Click the speaker icon and select Playback Devices.

As I understand it, you should have an option there listed as Digital Audio (S/PDIF) or something thereabouts. This should be selected as the default audio device. If I right click on that and select properties and then go to the Advanced Tab, I'm finding that under Default Format, I only have 2-channel options. I'm not seeing a 5.1 channel option.

Check to see what your options are for your S/PDIF output.

FYI, I'm using a Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L to an Onkyo HT-S3200.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Have you ever been able to get 5.1 surround from this set up? Did you configure the speakers as outlined in the manual?

Yayness

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016

Again, sorry for the late reply.
I've done all of that, and i do not see any 5.1 surroundsound option. The speakers works perfectly when i watch movies, or even play xbox. Again, using the S/PDIF(only with optical. But i tried that aswell as coax on the pc) solution.

There is this "digital audio" option available, but when trying to change the output format, it does not show anything else than stereo option.