60 Minutes: The Mexican Mafia & BitTorrent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neggers

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
They ran a simular story in Australia about 6-12months back, on our program A Current Affair, except instead of the Mexican Mafia, they were saying that Terrorists were profiting from Pirated movies and software.
Its just a bullshit scare campaign from the Music and Movies industry to try and scare people into not downloading stuff.

notanakin

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Unfortunately you'll often find that when mainstream media talk about a subject that you know about, their level of knowledge is abysmal. Makes you wonder how reliable they are on the subjects that you don't know about....

triplanetary

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Typical of the mainstream media. They could go to the trouble of researching their stories or providing multiple viewpoints, but they know their audience. They know that the majority of their audience is ignorant about technology beyond how to use email, so they're not going to waste their money providing an in-depth look at a technological matter.

But tying Internet piracy to organized crime is just ridiculous. Torrent piracy consists of a bunch of computer nerds providing content for no profit beyond the perceived size of their e-penis.

G

Seriously! I love toms hardware! I didn't think you were into comedy, but I just finished watching the clip! Wonder what she would call TCP/IP technology!?! That was seriously entertaining. Thank you!

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Personally, I find it hard to believe that CBS News and 60 Minutes have become this inept.

It's not just CBS and 60 minutes, it's pretty much all the news outlets nowdays that cater to the lowest denominator instead of journalistic integrity.

My advice? Ignore the (mainstream) news and current affairs. Seriously. I did this 5 years ago (when I was 21) and let me tell you it has done me the world of good. Less bullshit = less stress = more time for useful things.

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Typical mainstream media crap. You are suprised? I have known this for years, they arent mainstream anymore they are the "Fringe" media. I know I will probably get some hate for this but its true. Fox is much more balanced, they typically give you multiple views from multiple people/sources. Helps to get an fair and balanced news. :)

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
All the mainstream media, as others put it, are owned by huge corporations that also have interests in the movie business as well. Of course they use one outlet to help protect the profits from another. News, at least in most countries, is controlled by money (BBC is actually pretty good because it's subsidized).

G

When I watched it, I just kept thinking - they're whinging about all this money they're "losing" to the pirates. Its total BS. The people who buy bootleg dvds / share this media over the net were never going to pay the price of a cinema seat or an official dvd purchase. This industry needs to get their heads out of the sand and move into the 21st century. Hell, joining the 70's would be a good start.

king_solomon

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
in my country a new seat for a new movie cost around 500 money units (Rupees), pirated movie cost 100 units, 512 kbit/s unlimited ADSL is 2000 units, original movie DVD around 1000-2500 units
and my monthly salary around 12000 units,
average daily living cost exceed 400 units.
what an i going to do? either download or buy pirate.

lawsudz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Wrong Mr. Celeste. Organized crime is the number one purveyor of trojans and other malware. You think all your precious little torrents are free of malware? There is tons of money to be made by slipping trojans into movies and other torrents. After the empire of bots is completed they sell the rights to control the computers to others.

I love how our generation will say anything to justify the theft of intellectual property.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I didn't know that people still pirated with cams at theaters. All the pirated movies I've seen in the last fewyears have been digital promotional DVD copies of the movies sent to the theaters. Good theater employeess take the copies and sell them to pirates for a couple grand and its distributed at flea markets, and the police watch and buy those movies too.

G

I think it was intentional scary campaign. Probably trying to move public against bittorent and internet piracy. Actualy torrenting is easier if you don't need to hide it, then if everyone thinks you are mafia and earning milions out of it.

Darn, still can't speak/write. x_X

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]lawsudz[/nom]Wrong Mr. Celeste. Organized crime is the number one purveyor of trojans and other malware. You think all your precious little torrents are free of malware? There is tons of money to be made by slipping trojans into movies and other torrents. After the empire of bots is completed they sell the rights to control the computers to others.I love how our generation will say anything to justify the theft of intellectual property.[/citation]
If by "organized crime" you mean merely that the people put malware on the Internet are "organized criminals" you'd be right--but clearly that's not what and who CBS meant. They meant actual mafia that has existed for years...not new upstarts.

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
[citation][nom]notanakin[/nom]Unfortunately you'll often find that when mainstream media talk about a subject that you know about, their level of knowledge is abysmal. Makes you wonder how reliable they are on the subjects that you don't know about....[/citation]

+1 to that

This story makes no sense at all, it's obviously a scam.

IMO the worst thing is the lack of professionalism of journalists these days, they often present poor stories, with lost of holes in it, and some times completely biased

Status
Not open for further replies.