65" Mountable LCD

schmid11

Estimable
Nov 8, 2015
Looking for a nice 65" LCD TV to mount to my wall. We will be sitting about 10' plus away from it. Looking for something under 3k. Can't afford the 5k LG that is awesome.
Thanks

bdiddytampa

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
I've got the 65" 1080p 3D Smart LG and LOVE IT! The 4Ks are nice and all, really sharp picture, some of the smaller 4K TVs have become really cheap. As far as mounting goes, I can see the holes for a bracket, and they make them for just about every TV nowadays, but if you are specifically looking at higher resolution, I have no experience with large 4K TVs. Have a 43" 4K in my bedroom, but there really isn't any/much content for it yet, but even just 1080p stuff looks a bit sharper. Good luck with your TV hunt!

B

schmid11

Estimable
Nov 8, 2015
I have read that some marketing schemes show 120 or 240 but in reality are 60 and 120.
http://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/
Is this true or is it BS?

Of the ones that you listed for LG, is there that much difference?

-Appreciate the help
-tim

Demonic Heart

Estimable
May 8, 2014
I don't know much about refresh rates and tech within it but i can say that LG tv's have a beautiful picture! even better than SONY in my opinion

the difference between the LG lg tv's is one is 4k display and the other is 1080p

There are 240 Hz TV's, but were made for Active 3D to reduce flicker and crosstalk caused by 120 Hz TV's, when compared to 120 Hz Passive 3D. The difference when watching movies, or any content other than 3D, is not noticeable between 240 Hz and 120 Hz. Right now, the highest they go is 120 Hz, though last years model of the Samsung H7150 is using a native 240 Hz panel, but have seen none this year. Typically when you see 240 Hz today on the market, it's referring to interpolation, and so the native refresh rate would be 120 Hz. A quick way to find out, would be to check the spec sheet to see if the TV supports 3D, if it does, you know it's native 120 Hz, be it Active or Passive.

LG TV's use IPS panels, they aren't even comparable to VA in dimly lit or dark environments, VA is clearly superior for entertainment such as movies and games. Some IPS TV's are using local dimming, or what LG calls micro dimming, which is not the same thing, though they do achieve a higher contrast ratio than they would without it.

Right now, 4k content doesn't exist. Any movie enthusiast would stay far away from streaming 4k, because not only is it demanding when it comes to your internet connection, it's also comparable to our current blu-ray discs, which is not a good thing. Blu-ray comes ahead, despite the tiny difference in video quality, when it comes to audio. Blu-ray is king, and 4k blu-ray will completely take over streaming once consumers can watch local demos of how big the difference is actually going to be. Though the only downside to this new yet unreleased standard, is that it's likely going to be expensive, discs, players, receiver, and so on. A good thing however, is that current blu-rays are likely going to drop in price.

To answer above. 1080p to 4k upscaling doesn't make it match the 4k resolution, it's filling the pixels, but doesn't work like that. The signal coming in, cannot come out sharper, the TV's can't add information that's not there in the first place. What it's doing is trying to replicate what it would look like viewing 1080p on a native 1080p TV, on a 4k TV, that's all.

Demonic Heart

Estimable
May 8, 2014

Most tv's these days users ips panel and lg has the superior image quality than most!

proven fact

ive seen a number of tv displays from samsung to sony and none of them compared to lg's led 1080p display

Demonic Heart

Estimable
May 8, 2014

O3Kn7SB.png

Techhive: http://www.techhive.com/article/244561/hdtv_reliability_and_satisfaction_lg_is_the_brand_to_beat.html

Demonic Heart

Estimable
May 8, 2014

let me ask you this.. will a 2011 VA panel look better than a brand new 2015 ips panel?

no it won't because tv makers will make ways to improve their tech no matter what panel it is on..

its like saying a octacore vs quad core.. yes an octacore has more cores but it is the power and tech inside a quad core that will make it Superior in performance

u cant tell me all a VA panel is better than every single IPS and because of that i dont need to show you anything..

Why compare a 2011 VA to a 2015 IPS, when there are 2015 VA, and 2015 IPS? That doesn't make any sense to me. Are you saying IPS is better, because if you compare it to a 2011 VA, IPS wins? It still doesn't win when it comes to the contrast ratio though. Back in 2011, VA TV's still had 3-4x higher contrast than IPS, both 2011 vs 2011, and 2011 vs 2015. Colors, viewing angles, sure, IPS obviously wins.

Demonic Heart

Estimable
May 8, 2014

yeah but no where in my post i said ips is better than VA

i said Most tv's these days users ips panel and lg has the superior image quality than most! [ips] (never said anything about VA)

and i also said it was proven.. no matter when it was posted.. it "was" proven
fact

There are more VA TV's on the market today than IPS. Sony got a few IPS, majority of them are VA, Vizio got a few IPS, LG is only using IPS, Samsung only use VA, and so on. You did say:

"will a 2011 VA panel look better than a brand new 2015 ips panel?

no"

All VA's aren't better than all IPS, I only said in dimly lit to dark rooms, is when all VA beats all IPS, due to the IPS defects, and low contrast. The survey you posted is about reliability, not image quality.

Here is what I said:

"LG TV's use IPS panels, they aren't even comparable to VA in dimly lit or dark environments, VA is clearly superior for entertainment such as movies and games. Some IPS TV's are using local dimming, or what LG calls micro dimming, which is not the same thing, though they do achieve a higher contrast ratio than they would without it."