7.1 Audio Headset $150 budget.

RighteousGamer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
I am looking for virtual 7.1 headsets/headphones, that are less then $150. I am mostly looking for good audio quality, and mic doesn't matter to me, as I'm getting a blue yeti. So what brand seems to be generally the best, as well as what product would you suggest? (No Astros, I just got a pair and am returning them because they arrived broken!)

Solution

Real 7.1 headsets are...

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Check out the Sharkoon X-Tactic Pro. It's a native 5.1 headset, none of that virtual crap. 4 speakers in each earpiece.

RighteousGamer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
That seems to be general consensus that Audiotechnica seems to be the best, but my main question is this virtual or 'real' 7.1? I thought these were the 'real' 7.1s and I dislike those and they are what I'm trying to avoid, although I'm not sure.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
It's virtual, but the sound quality of the drivers will make up for any headphones that actually has the separate drivers needed for 5.1/ 7.1 surround sound. Even so there are no headphones that can simulate true 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound.

RighteousGamer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Is there a difference between real 7.1 and real 5.1? Or if so, is it major? My complaint from real 7.1 was that it was so identifiable, that is sounded more realistic then life. Almost like I had 4 ears and I just found it a bit, odd.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Real 7.1 headsets are very hard to find, I'm not currently aware of any that are in production. They have 5 drivers in each earpiece which either makes the headset massive or the drivers minuscule. Real 5.1 headsets strike a better balance, but they are still large. I have a Sharkoon X-Tactic that I absolutely love; unfortunately I kinda beat it up over the years and am in the process of finding a new one.

Solution

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Left Ear: Center, Front-Left, Rear-Left, Sub

Right Ear: Center, Front-Right, Rear-Right, Sub

RighteousGamer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Personally, it's not a gimmick, it's just not what I would say worth it. It tends to hurt some peoples ears, or just create nausea.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
It's not the matter if it's personal or not. A true 5.1 surround sound system has separate large speakers spaced a few feet apart from the listener. There's no way a couple of tiny drivers spaced centimeters apart in a cup enclosure inches from your ear can simulate the same experience.

5.1-surround-sound.gif

Pinhedd

Distinguished

It can, trust me