7.1 headset recommendations

MadDog215

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
I play video games but I also talk to people and record on my PC.I want a headset that has 7.1 surround sound with a mic that has less to no noise when I record. Any recommendations? I know the Razer ones have mediocre 7.1 quality and bad mics.

Solution

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
First off, 7.1 headsets are a myth. There are only one or two headsets that actually do 7.1 surround and they are VERY expensive. This goes without saying that cramming multiple speakers into each earcup sounds like crap. I'm sure the headsets you are referring to advertise 7.1, but what you are really getting is 7.1 emulation. Now, for the uninformed, this can be done by any sound card, even ones built into your motherboard.

Looking for a 7.1 headset, especially a Razor one, will leave you with a crappy sounding headset with fake surround sound and a mediocre mic.

You also need to understand that all-in-one gaming headsets are always going to compromise in several categories. You aren't going to find a headset with a mic that sounds better than high quality headphones with an independent mic.

If you are concerned about quality, I would highly recommend that you get a standalone microphone and then choose any pair of headphone you want. Of course, it won't be cheap, but at least you won't have to throw away your mic every year due to low quality or because it's attached to a garbage headset.

toddybody

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010

thor220 has valid points, but I think there is value in some headsets out currently. I'd agree on the advice to avoid a "Razer 7.1" branded headset...as you'll be paying alot for a mediocre "gamer boy" pair of headphones.

I'm not up on the newest headsets, but purchased the Logitech G40s last year (http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g430-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset) and have been pleased by them all around. Clear mic, distortion free sound (with obvious limitations of non amplified headsets at this price range).

The external mic+quality headset isnt a bad idea...just more wires/configurations than I'd personally prefer.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Logitech is the best choice in my opinion if you did need to buy a headset. They've got some quality products and their warranty is far better than many competitors.

A Blue Snowball + any headphones is a pretty good combination. You can position the mic quite a distance from yourself and it'll pick up your voice.

Solution