7.1 Surround laptop?

SupaSped

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Hello all,

I have a Clevo P170EM and want to buy a pair of Razer Tiamat 7.1 headphones. These use 5 audio jacks and a USB port. On the side of the Clevo there are 4 3.5mm sockets:

• 1 Headphone jack

1 Microphone jack

1 S/PDIF Out jack

1 Line in jack

Can I use these for the Tiamat's 4 audio jacks?

Thanks in advance.

SupaSped

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Would I not be able to use the 3.5mm jacks in tandem with the SPDIF?

Thanks for answering

sizzling

Distinguished
No, also the Tiamat's need quite a strong Amp to drive them (I have a pair) and my on-board motherboard outputs were too quite and had to go with an ASUS Phoebus soundcard. You are going to need a separate 7.1 soundcard.

SupaSped

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

So, could I just use a USB soundcard?

sizzling

Distinguished

I'd expect this is your only option but you will want a decent quality one and I don't know USB soundcards. When I has looking for PCIe soundcards for my Tiamat's is was clear from the reviews a high end sound card was needed and the Phoebus came out well for under £100.

Do you have the Tiamat's already?

sizzling

Distinguished
If you don't have the Tiamat's already I would go ROG Centurion. These were not available when I got my Tiamat's but from the reviews are equally good if not better and include their own Amp and only need USB https://www.asus.com/uk/Headphones-Headsets/ROG-Centurion/specifications/

SupaSped

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Whew. £350. Thanks for the suggestion, but the reason I was looking at the Tiamats was because they're only around £80 on eBay. £350 is a bit too much.

sizzling

Distinguished

£220 https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Centurion-Surround-Gaming-Headset/dp/B06WV6Y3SP

I expect your looking at £100 for a high end soundcard (unless you find a seconded hand one) or you were when I was looking, you cannot skimp on soundcard with the Tiamat's. So approximately £180, for an extra £40 you can get brand new setup.

sizzling

Distinguished

Check the reviews of the Tiamat's, they don't perform well on cheap soundcards. This is why I ended up upgrading soundcard to one of the recommended ones.

SupaSped

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Thanks.

I guess I'll just get some Astro A50s, then.

Where is your reading that says this? Possible it can reroute the inputs to outputs, etc, but need something that says it.

SupaSped

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Found it in the manual.

Quote:
''Note: External 7.1CH Audio Output Supported by Headphone,
Microphone, Line-In and Surround-Out Jacks''