700USD School/Gaming Laptop

Sarutobi0997

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
ENVY 15t-j000 Select Edition
Windows 8 64
3rd generation Intel Core i5-3230M Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory
15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)
6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
750GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
Backlit Keyboard
No Internal DVD or CD Drive

HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 1GB GDDR5 memory [HDMI, VGA]
8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
750GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
15.6-inch diagonal High Definition BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366 x 768)
Backlit Keyboard with numeric keypad

I am getting a new computer soon and these are my two choices. the computer will be used for school and to play a large variety of games with varying performance requirements (so lets just say crysis 3) on low+ settings 720p with 30+ fps. the only thing that is preventing me from choosing is that im not sure how the gt650m compares to the gt740m (faster or slower or equal) and im also wondering if the i7 would be better for me rather than the i5 ;the most cpu intensive tasks i would do is playing video games. i would like these computers to last 2-3 years (but 4 would be awesome) while maintaining performance value. both product's price is about 740USD (tax included) with my father's HP employee discount. please respond quickly because i will be getting one very soon. please dont link me to any computer besides these.

Solution
whoops i guess i looked at the wrong model, but yes i agree touchscreens aren't all that great and i'm personally not too big of a fan of Win8 :p
Oh i see, well its a shame because i think the Y400 is a really great laptop imo, plus it has the GT750m, the option for an i7 and an anti glare screen (well for me who lives in Canada, i believe they only offer the glossy ver. in the US).
but unless you can convince you father, i guess you're stuck with waiting for an affordable GT750m solution from HP.
In any case hopefully you find what you are waiting for, if not i think the DV6 is the better choice.
i5 < i7 - The i5 mobile processors are quad core but do not support hyperthreading, nor is their TDP as high, so the i7 has more potential in performance.

The two video cards are pretty comparable: http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1247&gid2=689&compare=geforce-gt-740m-vs-geforce-gt-650m

The 740M is probably more worthy of consideration, but neither one TOWERS over the other in performance. :)

The Envy will probably get a performance hit from its 6 GB memory configuration, though, so you have a small tradeoff between the two machines.

Sarutobi0997

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

so should i get the envy? i dont thnk 6gb would affect games since almost all games can run with 4gb? personally i think the envy is more aesthetically pleasing and its light but i think i should get the one with the best performance value

The 6 GB config is probably setup as a 4 GB memory module and a 2 GB memory module, which means the system will run in asynchronous dual channel; when you match the sticks (4 GB x 2, for example), the system runs in synchronous, which is slightly better than asynchronous.

Either way, I think you will be happy with the Envy. You have to like the aesthetics/appeal of it as well, after all! And it should still treat you well.

Sarutobi0997

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

well i have a 4gb ddr3 1333mhz 204pin ram stick in my current computer (it only came with 2gb 800mhz ram ಠ_ಠ) compaq) so unless hp pulled an apple retina display and i cant upgrade the ram i can get 2x4gb

Very true! Just make sure it doesn't void your warranty (RAM and HDD/SSD upgrades usually don't).

cynicalimpulse

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
i personally would go with the i7 and gt650m reason being,
i7 > i5 for one, but for most cases (for current games) you wont really see a difference in cpu performance between the i5 and i7, but in the long run, there will probably be more games with 4+ thread support. Especially after PS4 and Xbox 360 come out in 2013 Q4. So just for the reason of future- proofing i'd go with the i7
Also according to http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-740M.89900.0.html
GT 650m > than GT 740M in nearly every scenario and since you're only gaming at 1366 x 768 the 1GB of VRAM difference wouldn't really affect you (unless you choose to game on an external monitor).

plus if you go with the i7 laptop you get more RAM, an ODD and a num pad :) (idk if the i5 laptop you mentioned has that)

Sarutobi0997

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

yea i hear the i5 laptop (doesnt have ODD, Numpad) has a gimped gt 740m with a 64 bit bus rather than 128 bit. im not purchasing until july 13 so im going to see if hp releases a computer with a gt 750m for a resonable price otherwise im just going to get the gt 650m

Sarutobi0997

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

yea i hear the i5 laptop (doesnt have ODD, Numpad) has a gimped gt 740m with a 64 bit bus rather than 128 bit. im not purchasing until july 13 so im going to see if hp releases a computer with a gt 750m for a resonable price otherwise im just going to get the gt 650m

cynicalimpulse

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

i see, well there is also the fact that envy has a touchscreen and (i'm assuming) because of its lack of an ODD is a slimmer profile than the DV6. So if portability is a concern for you that might also be a important point to consider (or ignore; if you have biceps so big you can't scratch your ears :p)
But there is some time before you need to make your purchase so i do agree that waiting just a bit would be a good idea and maybe shop around perhaps?

Sarutobi0997

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

it doesnt have a touchscreen and im glad it doesnt because im not the kind of person impressed by touchscreen laptops. the envy is about 4.8 pounds while the pavilion is 5.5 and yea i will be using it for school and the current "laptop" i have is 5.5 pounds. also my father says that he only wants me to purchase hp since he is an employee at hp and gets discount but yea if i could get any laptop for 700USD id get the lenovo y400

cynicalimpulse

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
whoops i guess i looked at the wrong model, but yes i agree touchscreens aren't all that great and i'm personally not too big of a fan of Win8 :p
Oh i see, well its a shame because i think the Y400 is a really great laptop imo, plus it has the GT750m, the option for an i7 and an anti glare screen (well for me who lives in Canada, i believe they only offer the glossy ver. in the US).
but unless you can convince you father, i guess you're stuck with waiting for an affordable GT750m solution from HP.
In any case hopefully you find what you are waiting for, if not i think the DV6 is the better choice.

Solution