82-inch Multitouch E-board Begs for Your Fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
You are going to place a $12,000 piece of electronic equipment right in front of 30-some hyperactive children? I can see this for a business or in a college setting, but not for the younger, more projectile-oriented crowd of 3rd-graders.

sanphire

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
how is this any better in a class room than existing interactive whiteboards? Apart from being more fragile and more expensive?

G

I think purchasing a regular 80" HDTV (LCD) with touchscreen, connected to a PC (an Atom system might be good enough for this) might be the cheaper and more wise solution to think of!

For a screen that turns white or black and shows lines as you write on it, (and has the option to break down over time; something chalk boards are much less prone to); I'd say $1.500 is more than enough money for this!

hatishbi

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hey,

the "source" you've linked above (NexGadget) is just a 1:1 copycat of crunchgear...i don't think this kind of spam should be supported. You can find the original article (with links) here at crunchgear.com

Bye
Johannes (lesen.net)

mp562

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
It seems very tedious to have to click and drag across a board every time you're going to grab something. And yeah, a laser pointer would be nice. I think we're still a ways off from using this in a classroom.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
They have similar boards already called Smart Boards, my high school has over 10 of them by now. They're obviously cheaper, and still provide touch functionality along with useful programs for note taking and such.

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
take this stuff to the classes? are you crazy? do they want to have the screen shattered up and full of grafities, if they are gonna do that they better pay some good insurance service

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I don't see this working well in an elementary to high school class room. Young kids always find ways to break things and there will always be teens who break or steal things to show that they are "cool". IMO, it's too small for a large college classroom, but could work in a smaller one.

theangrygimp

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Or just use a projector and Wii controller like on Johny Chung's website for less than a grand. Could even make the creation of it a class project for learning. Since when do schools have that kind of money to throw around anyways? They can barely afford basic classroom supplies in many places, let alone 12 grand TV's..... Not saying I wouldn't like one for the geek in me, but that's REALLY expensive for a normal school.

G

that is not 82", thats probably the 65", i have a 65" in my meeting room and its the same size in comparison, unless that dude is huge

Skid

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Thats going to be a hard sell, my secondary school had smart boards in when I was still going there nearly 10 years ago, they was basically just a touch sensitive board mounted on the wall connected to a PC that was also connected to a projector.

The result, well what E-Board can do just at a fraction of the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.