840m vs gtx 850m

Karim Hesham

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
I'm getting a new laptop and I'm comparing between a lenovo flex 2 15 and an ho envy, they are almost the same specs with i7 processors and the flex's touchscreen and the envy has a gtx 850m instead of the flex's 840.
I prefer Lenovo and I like the flex but is the gtx that much better than the 840m that it's worth choosing the envy over the flex.

Solution
The GTX 850M is a pretty good jump in performance over the 840M, but HP Envy quality is... lacking.

If the 840M is good enough is entirely dependent upon what games you'd be trying to run on it. The 840M can handle most games on medium settings at 1920x1080, while the GTX 850M will absolutely run everything on medium and a lot of games on high.

Construkt

Estimable
Mar 14, 2014
Do make sure that the i7's being compared are the same. An i7-4510U is not the same as an i7-4710HQ. The U series processor is a lower clocked, dual-core CPU, while the HQ is a much more powerful quad-core processor. One is designed for efficiency and the other is designed for performance.

Where are you buying it? What is the price difference? What do you need it for? Is battery life and weight a factor?; if so, what kind of battery life and portability do you need?

Karim Hesham

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
They are different chips, the hp is 5500U while the flex is 4510U I know the 5500 is better but just slightly; it has higher base frequency but the 4510 is clocked higher and it has higher maximum turbo frequency and their benchmarks are almost the same.
I'm buying it from a store in my country and the price difference is equivalent to 30$ only.
This one will be replacing my laptop with is my only computer and I use it for everything from work to gaming I'm a network engineer btw.
Battery life and weight are factors for sure but they are not as important as this as they are both lighter and have better battery life than my old laptop.
So basically I want to know if the 840m is good enough or should I trade the touchscreen for the better gtx.

Construkt

Estimable
Mar 14, 2014
The GTX 850M is a pretty good jump in performance over the 840M, but HP Envy quality is... lacking.

If the 840M is good enough is entirely dependent upon what games you'd be trying to run on it. The 840M can handle most games on medium settings at 1920x1080, while the GTX 850M will absolutely run everything on medium and a lot of games on high.

Solution